June 1, 2017

Farm Jewels...

Trumpet Honeysuckle

Just when I think we've seen all the gifts the farm has to offer, Mother Nature gifts us with more. Yesterday was a gorgeous day. It was sunny and breezy. Everything is greening up and growing. I couldn't resist just sitting on our porch steps with Tag and soaking in a little sunshine.

Next to me, growing on the stair rails (one on each side), were these vines. I looked them up online, and I'm quite sure they're trumpet honeysuckle vines.

Trumpet Honeysuckle

As you can see, their blossoms aren't yet open. Like a cat who couldn't resist a warm sunny spot, I leaned back against one of the pillars and closed my eyes. I found myself contemplating whether or not we might get hummingbird visitors on the farm.

After a few minutes, I sat up and opened my eyes. Right in front of me was a hummingbird! I'm not kidding. I held my breath and sat still until it zipped away.
 
A Bonus For The Hummers

Before the end of the day, Handsome and I went out and ran a few errands. As we were heading home, I asked if he'd mind stopping for a hummingbird feeder. Of course, we stopped, and came home with a simple feeder.
 
Hummingbird Feeder
 
I looked up a nectar recipe from the Smithsonian Institute's website and made up a batch of simple syrup as a nectar for the hummingbirds I hope will stop to visit our Hickory Hill Farm. In case, you're interested, this is the recipe I used:
Hummingbird Nectar Recipe (Link HERE
courtesy of the Smithsonian Institute's National Zoo & Conservation Biology Institute
Directions for making safe hummingbird food:
  1. Mix 1 part sugar with 4 parts water and bring to a boil to kill any bacteria or mold present.
  2. Cool and fill feeder.
  3. Extra sugar water may be stored in a refrigerator.
  4. Red dye should not be added
I made up a batch according to the recipe and then let it cool before filling the feeder. I hope the hummers find it in the morning!
It's so wonderful to know that the farm has offered up another gift this summer. Here's hoping we have little flying jewels buzzing around all season.
DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. Hummingbirds are so tiny and precious. I am certain you will have many and be filling your feeder daily. We have Hummingbirds here and I love to see them. When they fly past me it is a very loud and windy passage with their tiny liittle super-charged wings flapping. Enjoying your Hckory Hill Farm gifts from Mother Nature is wonderful and I am enjoying right along with you. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna