August 19, 2016

Recipe For White House Sandwiches...

Web Image
When I posted about making White House Sandwiches for dinner last night, I guess I hadn't realized that I hadn't shared the recipe with you before. They've been our family favorite since the first time I made them, so I'd like to give you the recipe today.
Apologies for not having a photo to go with the recipe now, but the next time I make them, I'll it to this post. I'm not sure if they actually have anything to do with the White House or not, but that's what they were named the first time I ever tasted one.
When I was in my 20s - before I ever met Handsome - I worked as a paralegal and office manager in a law firm in Portage, Wisconsin. Across the street was a restaurant. I wish I could remember the name, but I can't. Anyway, they used to serve what was called their "White House Sandwich", which I ordered whenever I went there. Years later, I developed my own recipe, based on my memories of that meal. Warning: My version isn't fat free, but it is tasty!
White House Sandwich
Donna Liljegren - Brynwood Needleworks 
Prep Time: 1/2 hour        Serves: 2

Ingredients to make two sandwiches:

To make white sauce:
1/4 c. - All Purpose Flour
1/4 stick - Butter (real) 
1 1/2 c. - whole milk (I admit, I use Half & Half)
1/4 lb. Portabella Mushrooms, sliced
To assemble sandwiches:
4 slices - Deli Tavern Ham  
4 slices - Deli Roast Turkey
4 slices - Cheddar Cheese 
4 slices - Bread or 2 hamburger rolls, cut in half (I like sourdough or Italian bread!)
In a saucepan, melt the 1/2 stick of butter over medium heat. Slowly add flour until mixed. Remove from heat and slowly add all the milk, mixing with a whisk to avoid clumping. Bring to a slow boil, which helps avoid the "flour-y" taste. Mix until mixture begins to thicken. Add salt and black (or white) pepper, to taste. Set aside.

Saute' mushrooms in 2 Tbsp. butter, until tender. Add mushrooms to the white sauce. Keep warm.

Toast bread and place on heat-resistant dinner plate. On each slice of bread, place 2 slices of ham and 2 slices of turkey. Cover with some of the sauce mixture. Place cheese slices on top and cover with a little more sauce.

Place plate under the broiler until the sauce and cheese starts to bubble. Serve.

Making the white sauce is actually the hardest part! If you only want to make one sandwich, you can keep the extra sauce in the refrigerator. Just add a little more milk when you reheat it. You can adjust the ingredient quantities to make more or less sauce.

That's it. Add a side salad or your favorite vegetable (or nothing at all), and you've got a delicious, satisfying meal in no time at all.

Enjoy!
By the way: I've now added a "Recipes" page to my menu bar (up there at the top under my header). From now on, you can easily find a recipe there, and I'll add them as I post them in the future. I'll even add other non-edible recipes, too...like laundry soap, etc. Of course, if the recipe is not my original, I'll always give credit.

DonnaAcornSignature

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the post... Reminds me a bit of the Kentuky brown or the CM( because I can not spell Croque Massure)
    When it cools down a bit going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! We'll have to try these soon. Never heard of them before. Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I have never heard of this sandwich before. I'll have to keep this recipe and try it soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for a new idea for an easy evening meal! Will give this a go when our cool days arrive..........maybe November. Love your blog Donna! Always a daily read here. Back to stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Hubby will like these, especially if I make the White Sauce from scratch. Your new recipe page will be quite helpful. Thank You Dear...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna