August 14, 2016

I'm Going To Do This...

Brynwood Needleworks - Sewing Case Created by Vanessa at A Place To Roost blog

Last June, I was grazing around on FaceBook when I saw this fabulous idea from Vanessa at A Place To Roost. Rather than tell you all about her find, HERE'S the link to read about it yourself.

Brynwood Needleworks - Future Sewing Case

I was inspired, and set off to find a case that I could similarly repurpose. I checked on eBay, but even if the case was relatively inexpensive, the shipping took it over the top. I held off, thinking I might find something at a yard sale or flea market.

Yes. I said "flea market". Remember where I was last week? I was exploring the antique mall and came across more than a few vintage suitcases, but a lot of them have that "funky", "old" smell, and I didn't want to deal with that.

Brynwood Needleworks - Future Sewing Case
 
No such problem here. I found a vintage Samsonite hardside suitcase that didn't smell old, or like it had been deodorized. Perfect!

We're on our way south now, so when I get home, I'm going to put some thought into turning this little darlin' into a travel case. I'll adopt the "if it doesn't fit, it doesn't go" philosophy. Believe me. It gets easier each trip.
 
Once I get the new case finished, of course I'll take pictures to share with you. In the meantime, maybe you have an old case that you'd like to play with. If you do, I'd sure love to see what you create.
 
 
Last night we only went a relatively short distance on our trip. We got as far as Rantoul, IL (near Champagne). The southbound lanes of our route were brutal. I don't think we could have been jostled around for another hour. 

We pulled into Pleasant Pines RV Park - a lovely place - and when I went inside "Aluminati", I saw flecks of something all over our dining table. After hunting around, I found that our portable NuWave Induction cooktop was shattered into lots of little shards of glass.

NuWave Induction Cooktop - Web image

Before anyone could come into the camper, I pulled everything out of the storage compartment (directly over the table), got the cooktop into a garbage bag, vacuumed the cabinet, table and floor...and then wiped everything down. Just what I'd planned to do at the end of this leg. (Not!) I guess that cooktop didn't like being knocked around any more than we did.

Handsome saved the day by ordering pizza to be delivered to our site. I wrote this post and then headed off to bed. 
 
We're taking a new route home this time, so I'm hoping for smoother roads from now on. That would be really nice.

DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. My first set of luggage was that same creamy Samsonite hardside - way back when I set off for college in Massachusetts from Florida! Love the idea of making a small suitcase into a portable sewing kit. Hope the rest of your journey home is pleasant and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those rough roads certainly no fun for any of you and your cooktop that shattered. Good thing you could get it all cleaned up. Traveling suitcase revamp? I am so going to love seeing what you create. I have an old blue Samsonite hard sided case and used it to carry craft supplies without converting it. But I would love to make it special inside. Safe travels my friend...
    P.S. Don't get me started on my soapbox about our countrie's roads and infrastructure. Not only do our vehicles suffer, anyone with a bad back etcetera suffers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna