August 24, 2016

A Surprise Gift...

Brynwood Needleworks - Voting Rose

I have voted every election since I came of legal age. It's been a matter of civic pride to me to head out to the polls on Election Day. I never cared much for early voting, preferring the shared experience of standing in line, finally making it to the registration table, showing my identification, signing the poll book and then taking my secret ballot into the booth to cast my sacred vote.

More recently, my pride has extended to being more a part of the process by sitting on the other side of the registration table. The precinct where I serve as clerk is not the same precinct where I cast my vote, though. Once I get to the polls (by no later than 6 am) on Election Day, I - along with all the other poll workers - am required to stay there until the polls close and all our work is done. Then, my assistant clerk and I deliver the locked ballot box and tabulator (that counts the votes) to the Supervisor of Elections office.

What this means for my being able to cast my vote(s) is that I have to vote early. The Supervisor of Elections office in North Port is open up until Friday evening for anyone who prefers (or needs) to vote early, so Handsome and I went there yesterday.

Brynwood Needleworks - Voting Rose
 
As we exited the polls, the Deputy handed each of us an "I Voted" label and then told us that the florist next door was handing out free roses to each voter who cast their ballot early. I took my label next door and the owner, Andree, directed me to a large container, filled with beautiful and fragrant blooms.

This is the one I chose. I placed it in one of my mother-in-law's crystal bud vases as soon as I got home, and I'll be enjoying it through the rest of the week. 
 
Thanks to North Port Natural Florist in North Port, Florida - and the owner Andree Belliveau - for such a nice gesture. I know where I'll go next time we need to purchase fresh flowers or a beautiful arrangement. 

DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. congrats on voting - more people should... what a lovely gesture that was on the part of the florist - have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful rose and how sweet of the florist to honor early voters. Bless you for voting and working the elections. I know how time consuming and exhausting it can be. We vote absentee ballots due to the unknown factor of snow and ice and possibly not being able to get out to the polling place which is even higher up steep roads. Lovely Day Dear...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna