October 15, 2015

Knitting Hedwig...

Brynwood Needleworks - Hedwig Socks
The Strawberry Blossom & Roses Sachet is finished and on its way to a new home today. I needed to wait until daylight to take pictures, so I'll show it to you tomorrow.
Brynwood Needleworks - Hedwig Socks
After I leave the studio at night, I take up my knitting again. I've missed having knitting needles in my hands, and with the arthritis "on break" these days, I'm truly enjoying making socks again.
Brynwood Needleworks - Hedwig Socks
For this project, I'm using Opal Yarns' Harry Potter yarn in the "Hedwig" colorway. In case you're wondering, the pattern I use is frequently given away with a purchase of Opal Yarns. It's called "Free Simple Sock Pattern & Gift Pouch", by Sue Morgan. She designed the pattern in 2004.

If you've never made socks before, but you're comfortable knitting and reading patterns, I'd highly recommend that you start with this pattern. It's very simple and teaches the basics of knitting socks. It also explains how to resize the pattern for a smaller or larger sock.
Brynwood Needleworks - Hedwig Socks
When I started this pair, I had no idea that the seemingly random dyes along the yarn would produce such a fabulous pattern in the sock(s). I'm so smitten with the way it's knitting up that I can hardly put them down.
Brynwood Needleworks - Hedwig Socks
I'm only having one, single issue. If you know me well, you may have already foreseen the one thing causing me any distress. In case you're an occasional reader, I'll help you out. 
 
The pattern is so obvious as I knit, that I'm concerned about making the second sock match the first! Oh, dear. Each time a new block appears in the pattern, I immediately start thinking about it again. 
 
I'm glad I kept a nice long tail at the start. Perhaps I'll be able to find a repeat in the yarn when I get to knitting the second one. I'll be happy if I get close...I think...
DonnaAcornSignature

2 comments:

  1. Yes, good luck with getting the second sock to match the first. It isn't always easy, but hopefully you will find the right point in the yarn to start the second sock.
    I know I was extremely lucky a couple of years ago in using a similar self patterned yarn. Can't remember if it was an Opal or a Regia yarn. I just skipped about a yard of the yarn before casting on and it worked! I couldn't get over my luck. Hope it works out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not being a knitter I was wondering how you knit those amazing stripes of pattern. To think it is how the yarn is dyed.is even more amazing. I know you cando the second sock to match the first. Simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna