November 22, 2013

My Recipe For A White House Sandwich...

 When I was single and in my twenties I lived for about eight years in
Portage, Wisconsin. It's about thirty miles north of the state capital, Madison.

I worked as a paralegal and office manager for the city attorney, and on many
occasions walked across the street to a restaurant called Lord Chumley's Pub.
My favorite meal, by far, was their signature White House Sandwich. Of course,
I never ate it as much as I would have liked, as I consider it a bit decadent.

I don't believe the restaurant is open anymore, but I've been making my own
version in our home for years. I think it's the perfect cold weather/comfort food.
 I don't really measure things for this recipe, but I'll tell you just how I make it.

Liljegren's White House Sandwich
Ingredients: 
two slices of toasted bread (I used Paneras' Country Miche)
fresh-sliced deli ham and turkey (four slices each per sandwich)
1 cup of sliced baby portabella mushrooms
sliced cheddar cheese (four thin slices per sandwich)
White sauce 

Begin by sauteeing the mushrooms just until tender. Make the white sauce: Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add white flour and mix (using a whisk) until paste forms. Slowly add milk (or half and half), whisking to keep from getting lumpy. Be sure to bring to a boil to avoid a flour taste. Salt and pepper to taste. At this point, you can add the mushrooms to the white sauce, or keep them separate to layer when you make the sandwiches.

Toast sliced bread (I butter it when it's comes out of the toaster). Now it's time to make your sandwiches. Place one slice of bread on a plate. Add two slices of ham and two slices of turkey. Place two slices of cheese on top of the meat. Top with mushrooms and spoon white sauce onto the sandwich. Repeat for a second layer, ending with white sauce. Place under the broiler just until the sauce starts to bubble. Serve.

 It's just that easy, and I believe it's a really delicious meal.
(You can always add less meat or make as a single layer, too.)
Add a tossed salad and you won't even have to feel guilty!
Enjoy.
I nearly finished my production-line project yesterday. I can't show you my 
progress because there are Miss Nosypantses who might see their gifts. I'll
get them completed today after I get back from Coffee Club. I promise to
share little peeks next week so you have some idea what they look like...but
only very little peeks. I won't be stingy with pictures of my next project, though.

Next up is my handcrafted gift for our gift exchange for the quilt guild.
For now, I'll be heading out to Coffee Club.
I hope you all have a great weekend.
DonnaAcornSignature

6 comments:

  1. oh good grief, Donna. That looks positively and outrageously delicious ('cept for the mushrooms). It will definitely get a tryout here. Thanks. A lot. ~grin~ Have fun with your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decadent and comfort food combined. A cup of broth and this would make a wonderful winter meal. I seem to not want cold salads when the weather is cold. My hot cocoa is comforting with these gale force winds we are having. Snow is in the mountains just above us. Winter is here. Weekend Bliss Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We sure would have appreciated a hot ham & cheese sandwich here today...wicked cold & snow!

    FYI, there is a Lord Chumley's Pub in Tequesta, FL on Highway #1. The entire menu is online but I didn't see your "White House Sandwich" specifically. Bet they'd make it for you if you asked!!

    Go here for info:

    http://www.restaurantrow.com/m_pic.cfm?Type=Menu&nCode=852642&code=852642&Byte=u&Number=1&Ext=gif&Word=menu&Count=7

    I've enjoyed seeing all your recent projects, esp. the Dresden tablerunners. I just may have to make some come Spring.

    Stay Warm Hugs from cold & snowy OH,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks decadent yet easy. Something to make for dinner when I've lost track of the time. Yes, I think this will definitely be a winner. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to work at a german restaurant in Hartland Wisconsin that made the same sandwich. Sooo good

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna