November 19, 2013

Mom's Christmas Gift...

 I found the perfect gift for Mom this year. Since she moved to the nursing 
home, she's done a lot more handwork than quilting. Quilting takes up too much 
space in her living quarters, so she just moved to one of her other pastimes. 
She's gone back to crocheting for now, but she also does other handwork.
Anyway, I didn't want to make anything that would take up too much space, so
I decided to make an armchair caddy for her. It's perfect to hold her tools, or even
a little treat while she sits in her favorite chair making something wonderful.
 I used two of Lillalotta's beautiful twill tapes...one to adorn each pocket.
They say exactly what I want, reminding her that her daughter in Florida 
loves her.  (She tells anyone who asks that she has five children - not four - and 
one of them lives 1500 miles away. Me!) The tapes also coordinate perfectly
with the fabrics. (I used a few "Dandelion Girl" fabrics from my stash.)
I used crushed walnut shells to stuff the pincushion. They add weight for stability 
and keep pins sharp at the same time. This is a really great pattern, too. I made 
this gift in two hours - start to finish (including hand sewing the binding)! I just
may have to make a few more of these as gifts, or to sell in my Etsy shop, or our 
guild quilt show boutique in Febuary. Do you think they'd be "good sellers"?
I'm working on a few hand stitched pieces right now. They're also on
my list. I'll show you those photos tomorrow. Gotta run. Lots to do!
DonnaAcornSignature

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift and such a fantastic idea! I love the fabric you used and that tape is lovely - perfect to convey the right message :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Donna and I'm sure Mom will love it. Love the fabric and tape choices too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna that is just wonderful...she's going to love it! Perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why handmade is so important and special. Thoughtful, loving and custom for just the right gift. Your mom will love this because you made it for her. Definitely make them for the boutique. I have one I purchased years ago and use it lots. Walnut shells would give it better balance on the chair arm. Beautiful Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and thoughtful gift. Your Mom will appreciate and treasure it! Do you know the designer of the pattern? I'd like to try my hand at making one. Definitely make these for your guild. Ldonzello@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty nice.Sure,your mom will be delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so nice. My mother made me one similar to yours about two years before she died. I treasure it as I'm sure your mother will treasure hers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is darling, Donna!! Your Mom is going to love it!! And aren't walnut shells the BEST?? xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna