November 27, 2019

We've Got This...

Brynwood Needleworks - Our Kenmore Range
 
Well, I'm not sure if I told you about how this range came to be at the farmhouse. I guess now is as good a time as any. Two years ago, Handsome and I were looking for a gas range, but, as we weren't sure how we ultimately want to upgrade the kitchen, we didn't want to get something brand new. 
 
Of course, we went to the "Marketplace" (surprised?) and I found a five-burner range within 20 miles of us. It was a dirty mess, but the price was right, and I was willing to exercise some serious elbow grease, so we bought it. They even delivered it to us!
 
It took me about four days of concerted effort, and I ordered new oven shelves. We also had it converted from natural gas to lp, so it could utilize the fuel that already came into the farmhouse. When all was said and done, we had this great gas range/oven to serve us for meal preparation, canning, and breadmaking. We've always had electric ovens, and this being gas was new to me. I couldn't have loved it more. 

All that came to an unceremonious end late last week. While my range top still lit and performed, I realized that the oven would no longer light. It took until yesterday for a repairman to come. No one local works on Kenmore products, so I was given the number of a company out of Madison, WI that has local service reps.

Rich got her around 5 pm yesterday, took the lower part of the oven apart, and then told us that the igniter was the culprit. There were also wiring issues that would cause this issue to recur. We were ready to go ahead with the repairs, until he gave us the total cost. It was going to cost much more than half the cost of a new range! Considering this range is somewhere between ten to twelve years old, Rich gave us a number of reasons why it would be better to buy new. (He doesn't sell appliances, by the way, so he has no vested interest.) He also said that this model utilizes a more expensive igniter than the usual $30-$40 ones. (Of course!)

So, we'll be cooking our turkey in the trusty Nesco™ roaster, with the sides being prepared in our countertop convection oven, or on our still-functioning stovetop. I may start cooking some of the sides and desserts today to make life easier tomorrow.
 
Don't feel bad for us. Handsome and I did a whole Thanksgiving meal together over 35 years ago without a range at all. The small turkey was roasted on a mini grill, and all we had for the rest of our food preparation was an electric frying pan, a toaster oven, and a slow cooker. We did just fine, and our meal was delicious. We certainly are better prepared and fitted-out all these years later. Plus, we'll get to shop for a brand new gas range. We've got this! 

I won't be writing a full post tomorrow...just posting my annual Thanksgiving wishes. If you're traveling, please be safe. I'll be counting you among my blessings as we say grace with our family. 

Happy Thanksgiving Eve to you and yours.

DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. Donna,

    I rejoined the blogging world yesterday so stop by Corgis In My Garden for a visit. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving in your beautiful farmhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20 years ago and moving into a new build home that was not quite finished.
    Myself, hubby, my father and his mother all moving into the new home.... no stove or oven. Thanksgiving Dinner was made using a toaster oven, microwave, an electric frying pan and crock pot. lol.
    My MIL said she had never seen anything quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so not surprised that you and Handsome are not the least bit frazzled by your stove quitting just in time for your big Thanksgiving family meal. Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving Dear. XO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna