August 7, 2010

Sacred Silver Sunday...

Welcome to August Silver Sunday. My theme for this month is Sacred Silver Sunday, and I'm sharing most of my collection of rosaries. You'll notice that I've placed them on top of a few of my favorite books related to worship...an antique English version of the Polyglott Bible, Handsome's personal Bible, and my copy of The Methodist Hymnal.

One might think that a Methodist hymnal is out of place in this vignette, but in the theme of sacred objects, it is a perfect fit. When our family church was torn down to make way for a new building, many of the articles inside were auctioned off or given to long-time members of the congregation. I was able to choose one of our hymnals, and this one had been donated to the church in the 1960s, around the time I joined the church as a child. To say that it holds personal significance would be an understatement.

The little book on the top of the stack is a Polyglott Bible. It was a gift from my mum last year. The definition of a Polyglott Bible is "any of several editions of the Bible in which the text consists of translations in various languages arranged in parallel columns. This arrangement allows scholars to compare ancient and modern versions, as well as to examine closely the translation from one language to another." (per Encyclopedia Britannica) I'll share more information and photos of it next Sunday, but I want to show you my rosaries now.
From left to right:
  1. The first is a 10 decade bracelet rosary, featuring a claddagh charm, a Celtic knot bead and a Celtic cross. The beads are jade. It reminds me of a set of worry beads that were a gift from one of my brother's friends when they were stationed on the U.S.S. Nimitz aircraft carrier in the 1970s. His friend sent it to me from Israel. This rosary is about the same size.
  2. You may have seen the second rosary last week when I first received it. It's a beautiful rosary, featuring my (favorite) acorn beads in silver, with gold-tone pater beads. The crucifix on this one is larger than the others and especially pretty.
  3. The third rosary belonged to Handsome's Aunt Eula. She had it with her til the day she died. Although most of the metals are gold-tone, there are three silver medals affixed to it. I know the largest one next to the crucifix is a St. Christopher medal.
  4. Next is a special rosary given to me by my friend, Ellen. She gave it to me when she learned that I loved and collected them. This one belonged to someone special to her, so it means a great deal that she shared it with me.
  5. The last two rosaries were eBay purchases. They are both vintage, and well-loved. You can tell they were used by the patina on the beads.They are only two "new" rosaries in my collection. Although they're both beautiful, they haven't been used by anyone.
I think that all of us have daily rituals of one form or another. Rosaries held an important place in the spiritual lives of the individuals who owned and used them. The older, used rosaries reflect those rituals. To know that they were part of the daily devotions in someone's life elevates them in my eyes. They represent the mysteries of faith, adherence to a formality of devotion, and a point of slowing down in one's day to observe and support their faith. Although I am Methodist, I respect the rosaries of the Catholic faith, and the people who use them.
Thanks again, to Beth at Gypsy Fish Journal for hosting such a wonderful, ongoing event in Blogland. Please click on her Silver Sunday button to visit more participants. Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy the rest of your day doing something you love with someone you love.

Blessings,

31 comments:

  1. I love your collection of rosary's. I have a couple from my grandma and great granmother. They are truly treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post Donna. I have one rosary I received as a child. Your collection is beautiful.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are truly treasures Donna... I have my little white first communion rosary right here on the nob of an antique dresser... AND NOW they are pretty old, hehe... Thank you for sharing...
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful collection!
    Thanks for sharing how you print onto the fabric, I had no clou fabrick like that existed. Not sure or I can get that uphere in the Netherlands but I might find it online.
    Will be back for you tut ofcourse!!!! Wouldn't miss it for the world.
    Hugs,
    Lisette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, this is such an endearing post & your subject matter is close to my ♥. Your words show a deep appreciation for the Christian faith in all denominations.
    We have at least that many rosaries around our house, too. Some we bought in the Vatican when we visited the Pope. My most cherished is the beautiful turquoise one that my father gave to me on my wedding day. You've inspired me to photograph it & blog a bit about it, too. Thank you for such a touching description of how & where you came to gathered these symbols of faith.

    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are beautiful, Donna. I find rosaries to be so lovely. It's funny, I never used to think about them one way or another, but since I've been blogging and have seem them in so many posts and vignettes, I have developed an appreciation for their beauty.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely collection! thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a treasured collection. They are all so pretty and I love the way you have them displayed. ~~Sherry~~

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful collection! I absolutely love them all but the first one, the bracelet is my favorite of them all.

    I'm Christian, and found your post so interestin because I didn't know the term for that kind of Bible before but sounds very enlightening and helpful.

    Hope you have a great peaceful Sunday..

    Jennifer
    Feathers in the Nest

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, *this* Catholic girl thinks this post and your rosaries are absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. when i was a little girl, i used to want to wear my cousin's rosary as a beautiful necklace (being protestant, i didn't know)....and i always wanted to be a nun so i could wear those long, flowing *dresses.*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Donna, such a sweet and sentimental post. Collections are fun but the ones that have stories to tell are the best!
    thanks for joining in....and good luck!
    {{hugs}}
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Missy,

    Your collection is as beautiful as you are, timeless and cherished. I've always loved rosaries too, but I never have owned one or used one. I have a different take on religion than most people, so they are not a part of mine. However, that one you posted about last week was stunning. By the way, I joined the Blissfull ATC swap, too, so maybe sometime in the future you and I will be paired up.

    Love ya'
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Donna, neat post. I love your Rosary display on the Bibles and Hymnal. I didn't know what it was called, but I've been wanting a Polyglott Bible for years! I agree with you in respecting the devotion to Faith in God the Rosary represents. I have a couple of Hymnals, too, and they mean much to me.
    Have a blessed Sunday~
    p.s. I see you're a crocheter/knitter, too. I love doing both! I'm working on a Log Cabin lap blanket right now (knitting).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely words and post. There is a special Methodist Hymnal in my piano bench! I can easily understand your attachment to this one. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Donna, What a lovely and wonderful post! Thank you for a sharing this today! I also love your collection, it's wonderful! I hope that you have a beautiful day.
    Hugs...
    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not only are your photos lovely but the information you give is very helpful to understanding the significance of each item. Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely collection and I love the way you have displayed them!!! This is my first time to participate in SS, hope you will drop by for a visit! Happy SS... Blessings~~~ Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoyed your Silver Sunday post! thank you

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I love that you collect rosaries, Donna. I do, too! And so does my son. I love the vintage ones best as I like to think about all the prayers and intentions that have been rubbed into them.

    I believe in the rosary. Honestly, if you say the rosary every day, you will see changes in your life. I've seen it happen. (Why I stop, then, is a complicated matter -- even to me.)

    Wonderful post, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank You Donna for sharing such a Sweet Post ~ The Hymnal, Bibles & the Beautiful Rosaries ~ So Wonderful that we can all come together & Share.... Have a Wonderful Week
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  22. Donna,
    Thanks for sharing your lovely stories and photos of your beautiful rosaries. Thanks also for respecting them as part of the Catholic faith and not treating them as "trinkets."

    The Polyglott bible sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing those pictures!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never know what my friend Donna has for me when I drop by for a visit but it always is lovely.
    So glad you shared these with us today. What beautiful pieces you have and the sentiment behind them makes them all the more special.
    I am looking forward to you posting on Handsome Bible I have hate to admit it but this is the first I have heard of it.
    Thinking of you today my lovely friend wondering if you were having a special Sunday.
    Hope everything is good with you and I so enjoyed by visit
    Love ya
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your collection of rosaries are very pretty. I like the one with the acorns. We have several and they have special meanings to our family. Our weather is horrible. It is still in the high 80's aand it is 11:30 at night. It is not going to cool down much and tomorrow we are to be back in the 90's with triple digit heat index. Try to stay cool it is very hard to do. Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a special and beautiful Silver Sunday post. Love your pretty rosaries.

    Love the satiny acorn you received in the previous post also!

    Big TX hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  26. Donna, I loved seeing your rosary collection. Have a nice week! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  27. I too have a collection of rosaries, although I am Baptist. It doesn't matter what Faith you are as long as you have Faith. I have nothing but respect for the people who said their prayers with their beads. I can appreciate that as well as appreciate how beautiful they are. Thank you for sharing. Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good Morning Donna!!!!

    I'm enjoying my visit here and oh my gosh I just LOVE your rosary collection!!!!! They are beautiful lined up on those fabulous books :)))
    What an awesome object to collect but the ones that are sentimental (like Aunt Eula's) are priceless :))))

    ReplyDelete
  29. Donna, your rosary collection is a beautiful one. My mother-on-law was catholic, and I regret that I don't know what happened to her pieces. Your vignette with the bibles and hymnal is beautiful. I've never heard of a Polglott Bible. Thanks for the information!
    I'm late arriving and posting for Silver Sunday this month, but hope you will stop by for a visit. I'm sharing some recent sliver finds. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna