August 11, 2010

Dream The Day Away...

Today, I thought I'd share my newest book with you. Honestly, I fear this has become a mild obsession (if there is such a thing). Kaari Meng is The French General, and this is one of her fabulous "How To" books. I thought my taste tended toward my new-found Scandinavian furniture and decor, but I think I may have to reconsider.
Imagine dreaming the night away on fresh linen, hemp or even nettle bedding? Natural fibers that only get softer with age. Vintage linens would be even better. (Let's agree to not talk about cost, shall we?)
Or perhaps setting a fine table with vintage-looking placemats you've created yourself? Of course, the French General has just what a girl might need in their fabric lines, and all the instructions, too.
I can just see this clean, tailored ottoman slipcover on my little suede-y cube in our living room. All of my colors are blues, tans and whites, but don't worry about that. Kaari has my color theme covered, too!
An old French country table on the patio, or under the beautiful oak tree in our yard...covered with a scalloped tablecloth, mix-n-match antique china and silverware, bowls of fresh fruits, cold lemonade, and Mason jars filled with seasonal flowers. What a dreamy way to spend an afternoon.
Then, there's this...I finally found a local shop that carries the French General's "Rural Jardin" fabric line in the blue colorway. (I kept running into the reds, but needed the blues.) I purchased plenty of fabric to make a quilt to cover our antique oak table, with enough left to cover that little cube in the living room.

If you love books (which I do), and you love inspiration, then you'll want to get a copy of Home Sewn. Why should I be the only one to dream the day away?

24 comments:

  1. That looks like a seriously nice book to have on hand Donna. I might have to see if I can get a copy over here.

    Minimiss

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree! I love this book although I've yet to make a thing from it. But, it is great eye candy!
    Love your blue fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna,
    That Moda fabric in those blues!!! Makes my heart sing. Thanks for the book review, sounds like a great book with lots of good ideas.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blue "Rural Jardin" fabrics! Have fun creating, Donna! All the projects look gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that French General book...still have to add this one to my collection. I am hoping that they develop a sepia/brown/cream color line of fabric...love the blues & reds. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Dee, I fell under spell a few years ago, I love that book.
    My wish is that I could find her fabrics here.....love those colors and the patterns.....oh how sweet!
    I can just imagine what you are going to do.....can't wait to see!
    Hugs,
    Mags

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning, Donna,
    Oh, I just love those fabrics. I can't wait to see what you make!

    Have a thoughtful Thursday. ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Donna, What a wonderful book! I do believe that's one that I want to purchase for my own library. Love those blues! I hope that you have a lovely day.
    Hugs...
    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  9. All things blue are heaven to me. Looking forward to the finished work in blue. Happy creating...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book looks like a must buy :)
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that book too and have both the red and blue fabrics waiting until I can find the time to play with them. You can definitely dream the day away with that book and those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those red fabrics are definitely calling my name. Might have to have this book.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like an interesting and pretty book to look at even if you are not much at sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. drool, swoon, envy.....love it, love it, love it! When I win the lottery I will buy us both some fabulous linen sheets. ;)
    xx, shell

    ReplyDelete
  15. That book looks great!
    And those blues are just sooooo dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I've certainly missed a lot! That books looks beautiful and you make it sound so dreamy! I am a sucker for beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The book is lovely. I adore that blue fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A Lovely book but oh I can't wait to see what you create with that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi sweet Donna!!! Ohmygoodness girl, I'm so in love with Kaari's style and just love that book! I haven't gotten my hands on any fabric yet but hope too soon ~ I can't wait to see what wonderful treasure you create with yours! Have a great weekend sweetie, hugs and love, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I Do love books! Especially craft books! I also Love that blue fabric you found! A quilt out of that is going to be so gorgeous! Can't wait to see it! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  21. Donna, I immediately requested this book from my library & can't wait to get my hands on it. It looks like a wonderful source for ideas & inspiration!
    Thanks for telling us about it.

    fondly,
    Rett


    Good Luck with your needle turn applique!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a lovely inspiration to go by..thanks for recommending this

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna