August 14, 2010

My Beautiful Little Bible...

This was originally published today sharing my August Blissfull ATC swap cards. I decided to separate them and feature just the Bible today, and will post the August ATCs on Monday. Thanks!I promised to tell you more about my Polyglott Bible this week, so I have a few more pictures to share with you.

This Bible was copyrighted in 1858 in Philadelphia by J.B. Lippincott & Company. It measures a mere 5 3/4' x 3 1/2" x 1 1/2" deep. It's small enough to transport easily in a purse or pocket.
Inside the front cover is a fold-out map of the Holy Land which is titled "Map of the Missionary Tours of the Apostle Paul". I have to admit, it's in pretty rough shape, but I love old maps. Don't you?
There is also an inscription on the inside plate. It took a while for me to be able to read it. It's written in the beautiful script of the time, but additionally, the ink is faded. I finally managed to read what had been written:

"Presented to Jos Reeves by JE Pendelton December 2, 1860 Murphreesboro, Tennessee
May you, my dear, always live near to the Lord - and keep sacredly the vows we took together this day. Call upon the Lord in every time of trouble and he will hear your cry and answer your petition."

I wonder which vows were taken by the two people on December 2nd all those years ago.
The inside pages are all in English, in very tiny print. I mean, teeny, tiny print. For every entry, there are date references and side notes. Perhaps one day I'll sit with a magnifier and attempt to read the words. Until then, I'll be happy to have it and treasure the promises behind the words.

Wishing you a restful and joyful Sunday, my friends.

12 comments:

  1. The picture of your Dogs is a treasure for sure. I would also be honored when someone goes through all the work of making something so wonderful. The Bible is truly awesome..Isn't it amazing how wonderful things were so long ago, Take a hop over to my blog and read my new post..I think it is also something you will enjoy :)
    Hugs
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two wonderful cards created by two talented ladies. I think I am feeling a little intimidated with the thought of exchanging with either one of you - but I WILL!

    You know how it is always said that people are larger now than they used to be - doorways are higher, beds are longer etc. The Bible print seems to have grown too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! I think if I got a card so personal it would make me cry also..you both did a fabulous job ....so glad you come to join in the swaps...i have day lillies up one side of my home..so beautiful is your replication of them.

    I love your bible too..beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cards are really pretty! I love the one you made with all the fabric and bead embellishments!

    That bible is really pretty! What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Donna! The Bible is a beautiful treasure. Love the ATC's! Have a wonderful Sunday! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would say you both were very lucky to have each other as swap partners. You both created beautiful cards....so much thought and care behind each one.
    Have a wonderful Sunday.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cards are just gorgeous Donna and I love the flower stitchery in your creation. Do you have to have a special printer to put photos on silk?Or any other fabric for that matter. I have always wanted to try that!
    Have a wonderful Sunday!
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok Donna first that Bible is incredible! What a gem! 2nd Franice is a sweet heart! I got to meet her in Savannah at the petticoats event. and 3rd Your atc orange is absolutely GORGEOUS! I love that interpretation! I can't wait to get all my ribbons in so I can get started! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. May you, my dear, always live near to the Lord. What a wonderful inscription in this treasure you have.
    The ATCs are treasures as well, both of you took such time and effort to create real keepsakes. Thanks to both of you for taking part in our swap.
    Now I must repeat, May you, my dear, always live near to the Lord.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna,
    I guess I missed seeing the cards..I will look for them tomorrow.
    I think the bible is beautiful and very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  11. The script in that bible is divine!!! Thanks for sharing Donna. HUGS! Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply stunning! I love the bible. What a treasure.

    Toodles,
    Renee ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna