August 12, 2010

Confidence Is The Key...

Here are the very beginnings of my first applique' quilt square. I've chosen the fabrics for this square, transferred the design onto template material, and prepared for the "cutting out" phase.
I'll use the light table to place the full design behind the base fabric for the square to help me locate the elements to prepare for stitching. Everything needs to be cut larger than the template piece, so that there is extra to turn under for finishing and attaching. I'm still learning here, so now I have to determine the best way to turn the edges to attach each element to the fabric, while still maintaining the intended shape of the piece.
This is a representation of all the fabrics I've chosen to use on each design element. I'm a little intimidated by the process. I'm not quite sure why. Perhaps, it's because the instructor gave us the pattern and no instructions. I'm big on instructions. Plus, she said that "if our leaves didn't come to a point", she wouldn't give us the pattern for the second square. What? I don't even know if she's serious.

This is really as far as I got. I did try to turn a couple of leaves (which I'm now nervous about), using Glue Baste-It© and Heat n Bond©. Didn't like either, which means I'm stalled on the project.

I'm meeting with my girlfriend, Loreen, this morning for coffee. She's a whiz with applique', so you can believe I'll be picking her brain. I'll feel much better when I have a little more confidence. You know me. Confidence is the key to learning and succeeding with a new technique. I'll keep you posted.

16 comments:

  1. Donna~
    I am *confident* that your applique quilt square will turn out most beautifully! You are such a very talented lady and a perfectionist! This is one of the prettiest applique blocks I have seen! Love the colors and fabrics you have chosen.
    :~D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure that you will do it beautifully, the design is lovely and the fabrics you have chosen are wonderful. I have never done much appliqué or quilting but when I tried it I made a cardboard template, finger pressed the leaf shape and then very carefully ironed it flat, took out the cardboard and moved onto the next leaf. very labour intensive but I never read instructions so had to figure out something that suited me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous as usual Donna!!! From the photos your points look perfect - besides I don't think that there should be a job opening for the Applique Police :)

    I'm with you on the instructions!!! I almost (note I said almost) envy those who can sit down and just fiddle around with something and create something fabulous. Not me. I like -need- instructions and I love it when they are written to perfection.

    Can't wait to see your finished project! Enjoy your morning coffee. Linger with Loreen and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your morning coffee and I am like you. I want instructions as to how to do it. I can read them as many times as I need to accomplish what I want. I love the design and the fabric. It will be awesome. I will waiting for the next post. Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sitting here with my mouth hanging open. WOW. Love the colors and what a cute design for the applique. I think it's going to be more than amazing. I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna the pattern and the fabrics you chose are just perfect.
    There is something about the fabric combination that is really engaging and enchanting!
    I can hardly wait to see the next step....
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no doubts that you will figure this one out and product a gorgeous appliqued piece. Your talent with needle and thread never ceases to amaze me.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man...you have more patience then I have...I can't quilt to save my life. Love the colors you have chosen! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dee, let me know what she tells you, I have an applique quilt waiting for help....I may just dig it out again, at least it is small and I can hold it in my lap. I love the idea of hand stitching but the turning process is confusing. Have a great visit and keep me posted....lovely colors, is this a quilt for you?
    Hugs,
    Mags

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna, I loved seeing your process on this! I love the design and the fabric you've chosen. You must have so much fun in your studio. Have a wonderful weekend! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  11. It will be ebautiful - everything you make is and this will be too - you just have to believe it yourself and then you're half-way there! Applique is not hard, just takes time and I bet after your coffee date you'll be raring to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful! I can't wait to see the result! Also...I just discovered The French General, too! What a wonderful book...makes me want to fly to France and buy up old French fabrics! Have a great weekend!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love getting to see the process!! Can't wait to see more.
    I have gotten all my books in that you recommended and can't wait to get started! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girlfriend, fuse those puppies down, buttonhole stitch around them and move on with your life! The best class I ever took was at the Mid Atlantic quilt festival in Hampton VA. Sue Nichols taught her fusible applique (great book too). She is an award winning artist and she fuses, yes fuses! I write all my applique patterns using her method. I also taught her method for years at the quilt shop. Fun and beautiful!
    This block is gorgeus.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am confident you will have it down pat in no time...you chose some lovely fabrics for your first design...good lcuk..and have fun

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rather you than me on that one Donna but I'm sure you'll cope admirably with your usual talent and flair. I like the fabric choices.

    Minimiss

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna