August 2, 2010

Right Under My Nose...

These are the fabrics I've chosen for my 12-month quilt project. I joined a local quilt group, The Disconnected Piecers, last month and one of the members is teaching a free class. I'm learning applique' techniques, and there will be twelve blocks to complete...one per month. At the end of the year, I'll be able to assemble the quilt.

I'm really fond of the colors I've chosen. The pattern shows the design sewn in dark colors, but I want to go for a different look, so I pulled the jelly roll from my stash with all those pretty patterns, and then selected the coordinating fabrics. I also had to purchase the lightest color fabric as the background for all the squares.

I promise I'll show you each square as I finish it so you can share my applique' journey. I think it will be an interesting twelve months, don't you?
Guess what else happened yesterday? This will probably be a yawner for y'all, but I was pretty excited. We had our usual summer storms pass through on Sunday night. I always run into the studio to make sure all of my machines are unplugged. I guess, without realizing it, I had also unplugged the "accelerator" control on Prissy. When I went to sew yesterday, nothing happened. When I figured out why, I had to plug it back in.
Look. Do you see it? There. Peeking out from under Prissy. Could it be? Tell me it is! Slowly, I reach for it and this is what I found...
Woo Hoo!!!! It's my favorite, sharp, almost vintage, seam ripper! What was lost is found. It had been right under my nose the entire time. Safe and sound, but virtually invisible.
From my vantage point, the seam ripper had been obscured by the connector for my foot pedal. I swear I'd looked there before. I even lifted the machine up once, but apparently, it was still covered by the machine and I didn't see it.
I was so grateful that I got out the brass polish and cleaned it up. Then I perched it on the crocheted (tuffet) pincushion that was created by Twyla at Two Crazy Crafters. I left it there for the afternoon and then hung it on the hook right next to my machine for safekeeping before I turned out the light in the studio for the night. One lost item from my list moved to the "found" column. Now, if only I could find those berry bowls!
One more thing...
Some of you had voiced your regrets at not requesting one of my 400th Follower Artist Trading Cards. I contacted you, asked for your address and told you I would do a Phase II set. Not exactly like the first set, but incorporating the same elements. (The embroidery on the right side of the ballerinas is a different design and color.)

They're ready now and will be mailing out today. Thanks again for asking for one of my mini art pieces. I hope you all enjoy a creative day!

22 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you found your seam ripper ~ how nice that the case is no longer lonesome for the seam ripper! : )

    Also, I've enjoyed seeing all your beautiful quilts ~ your work is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They colors of your fabric is wonderful - I´m sure it´ll be an amazing quilt. Can´t wait to see.
    xo Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing your lovely fabrics - all selected with such care and with such a plan in mind - makes me laugh at what I'm working on right now.

    I'm hand piecing a flower garden quilt with every fabric that catches my eye when I go through the quilt store. I'm calling it my "crazy quilt". Because of some family drama going on, I need something to occupy me whenever I find myself with time on my hands (which may otherwise be used for worry). Looks like any color goes. I have no idea what size it will be. Just one "flower" after another. Each one is lovely on its own, but does not necessarily go with any of the others.

    Someday I will look at it and remember that you can make it through trials. And make something of them, as well. And then maybe I'll make another one that makes more sense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Donna you found it! Isn't it always the last place you think to look?
    I can hardly wait to see your quilt process and progress over the next months and please give details!!
    If I may ask how much are your little cards they look so sweet!
    Have a great day!
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I am interested to see your new applique methods.
    Glad the case and ripper are reunited. Had it not been for the storm you might still be looking for it. I've missplaced things only to find them in full view later, not hidden at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna Dearest,

    Yay you found your ripper!!!! I know how that is, tools are very precious to us crafters and they become almost like family to us. So, Donna, I feel like a beggar here, but whenever you get around to making anymore ATC's......I would just be so honored to have one. By the way, I joined your ATC trade group and will be trading an August "orange" card with Wendy. I'm so excited to have joined, and who knows....someday you and I will get matched for a trade. I love your new quilt colors, very pretty, soft and natural.

    Take care sweetie,
    Lot's of hugs and love,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to have a class on applique, I would so love to have that opportunity! Enjoy! I look forward to seeing your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd really like to add my name to the illustrious group to receive one of your 400th followers ATC cards. Please consider me.
    Best wishes.
    Chanticlear1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning, Donna! I am so relieved you found your seam ripper! I can see why you love it so much, it is so pretty. It looked great all polished up and laying on the pin cushion. I hope you are having a great day and are keeping cool. We will be hitting 100 degrees again today:( Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I saw the title, "Right Under My Nose", I knew you had found it. I am happy you did, to lose a treasured item is so troubling. It seems you can think of nothing else. The only good thing about it is I usually clean up and organize while I am looking. Now that it is all polished up you won't lose it again!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good morning honey
    We are still on the same wave path I see and there is a reason for it. lol
    I have to say your comment made me spit back my Dr. Pepper on my lap top and now if I can remember where my cleaner is for it I will clean it all up. You my friend are toooooooo darn funny.
    I can't see me having to use your advice anytime in the future but it is good you shared it with the others who might be needing it. hahahahahaha
    Girlfriend if I did not have you in my world right now I would be totally lost. It would be like your little ripper lonely and hidden under something waiting to be found and used. The only thing I found when I was on my hands and knees looking for my pills was dust bunnies and more than a few under my dresser so now where is that darn dust mop..
    Love you new look here on your site....much more like my sweet Donna.
    Why oh why don't I live near you. I would love to be in that class with you making a quilt piece by piece. Can not wait to see the first one.
    Well my dear I could write you all day but my lap top is loosing its juices and I need to clean my body up because today is pool therapy and you know that means the ole legs have to be shaved too. Wow way too much information for a comment. I hope your the only one that reads this long letter.
    Know whatever your doing today that your friend in Texas is thinking about you
    Give Handsome and Kes a big hug
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning, Donna,
    Oh, I am so glad you found your vintage seam ripper...I know how that is when you are looking for something important. It is hard to focus on anything else.

    Take care ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful! It is dreadful to lose special items like your seam ripper. Nothing works quite the same.........
    Hopefully this find will bode well for any other items that are lost. Hope they all turn up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy days to have found your seam ripper. How thoughtful and generous of you to make more ATC's to share. Love your fabric choices for your next quilt. Happy creating...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the fabrics you've picked for your quilt project. Looking forward to seeing the blocks as they develop.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Man, oh, man, isn't it wonderful when the lost item turns up ?
    Especially it turns up from a spot so close and yet so far.

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't it funny how these things always hide in plain sight? :-)

    The fabric is just luscious, great colors!

    Have a wonderful Wednesday!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have lost (or should I say misplaced) many things and am always so excited when I find them (and then Billy looks at me like I am loosing my mind)
    I LOVE your Fabric choices and am looking forward to seeing each block as you get them made. There is a quilting group up North (back home) and it was very boaring when I went about 3 years ago..They all work on 1 quilt top and that isn't what I went there for. Maybe I will try it again when we get back and it will be a different room in a different house that I will be reading your blog from..I wish I could just go to bed and wake up moved LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Donna,
    Love the fabric selections. Of course I think you could take wal-mart dish towels & make them look amazing all sewn together. As for the missing seam ripper. Next time you misplace something try the prayer to Saint Anthony.
    Please St. Anthony please come down,
    somethings lost & can't be found.
    If you find it, give it to me.
    Oh how happy I will be.
    Honestly, it works for me every time.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Donna, I thought perhaps you found your seam ripper. We all have our favorite things when we sew and if they are lost we just feel like part of us is missing. I will be looking forward to seeing the new quilt blocks. It sounds like fun. Maybe I can do something like that if I ever get to retire, that will be the day. I enjoyed our friend Maggie's comment she is so funny. Have a great day. Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, I'm very pleased to meet you! I'm a new follower to your blog. I'm so happy that I found you and your blog! All your work is outstanding and I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.
    I'm also new to ATC'S and yours are gorgeous! If you have any at all left from your 400th Follower Artist Trading Cards Phase II set I'd be honored to be able to trade with you for one of them...they're beautiful!
    I hope that you have a wonderful day!
    Hugs...
    Bobbi
    rockyandduke@aol.com
    http://bobbianncook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna