May 31, 2024

(Not So) Silly Habits Mean A Lot...

I haven't reported on my decluttering efforts lately, but I have been busy. Yesterday I took 8 boxes, three rolls of vinyl fabric and a few furniture pieces to St. Vinny's. Using the standard for allowable deductions, it amounted to nearly $1200 value in donations! 

It sure made a difference in the amount of "stuff" I've been looking at, but more importantly, it can make a big difference to people in need.

I've also filled a large tote with packaged fabric that will soon be on its way to my friend in Arizona who owns a 501(c)(3) who will make sure it goes where it will have the greatest impact. I have a bit more of that to package and then it will be mailed out.

Lastly, I have one more box that's filled with crafty things that I'll take with me next time I go to Portage, so that my dear creative friends might be able to use the contents for items they make for craft shows and sales. More things away from here.

So, even though I haven't mentioned it lately, I have been a busy bee, and it sure feels good. While there's still much to do, taking a few minutes each day amounts to huge changes by the end of a week. This is a small habit that can make a big difference. I like this plan, so I'll definitely be more consistent with this in the future. 

(Note: Silly Habits Mean A Lot is another song title. I couldn't resist. )

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like some great donations.
    Good for you for cleaning out.
    I do that sometimes too, take things to Vinny's.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I prefer St. Vincent de Paul over Goodwill. Once I saw the salaries Goodwill CEO and upper management make, I decided to donate to an organization that really serves the community. I think many will benefit from this last batch for sure. Thanks!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. I feel the same way about Goodwill.

      Delete
  2. We always have a box in the corner of the bedroom for throwing donatables in to and when it gets full it means a trip to the thriftie. I really need to muster my oomph and go through my sewing space again because I'm sure there are things I could easily do without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      What a great idea! The visual clutter is really getting to me. Far from a hoarding situation, but even my clothing closets are filled to the brim, so I need to downsize my clothing to save my sanity. I'm working toward a capsule wardrobe - all interchangeable outfits - as the way to go. I'm not doing well so far, but I'll keep trying. I know my studio is a great source for donating and selling, too. I'm far from done, but I'm making a difference so far.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Bravo!! Thank you for sharing your progress! It is an encouragement to me to keep at it. Just need to focus on the things I enjoy crafting and not holding onto things "just in case" I might want to do it someday. Those somedays are picking up speed 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      We can encourage each other. Between my crafty friends, family, my Etsy shop, and St. Vincent de Paul, I know I can move a lot of these things to good homes. I just have to focus on one room at a time and not get distracted. That's the hardest part for me. If I can do it, I know anyone can!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. sherry of createology: Congratulations Dear! Excellent work to de-stash. I have also filled three large totes for my local thrift store. So much stuff somehow just accumulates and I cannot possibly use it all in my lifetime. I am trying to sort one container each day or week depending on my time available. If only I could eliminate my extra body weight so easily. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Oh, how I can relate to your last sentence, my dear friend. I'm hoping that if I concentrate on the "stuff", my activity will help with the other. lol A girl can dream, right?
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. A woman after my own heart!
    I'm have my one year plan to get it done.
    Sometimes I forget I said a year and I try to do it in three months, had to rein myself in.
    It sure is a good feeling.
    And even if you don't mention it, I know you are a busy bee always.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I think it's good to have a time table and then set aside a block of time each day as you can. I know if I try to do too much at one time, I end up paying for it the next day. I try to avoid the aches and pains, so 15 to 30 minutes a day seems to work for me. If I'm really into it, perhaps an hour, but longer than that, and I end up wishing I'd been more judicious. I also need to remind myself to take a little time to rest, or to do something fun. Otherwise, I'm like a prairie dog who only stops to stick my head out of my burrow occasionally. I need more sunshine than that. lol I hope you have a lovely weekend, too, my friend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna