May 4, 2024

Grandson's Graduation...

Grandson earned his Master's Degree in Business yesterday, and we couldn't be prouder. He's graduating cum laude from Concordia College right here in Wisconsin. The second part of his graduation is this afternoon, but due to limited seating, we won't be there, as his other grandparents will be filling the reserved family seats. We attended this ceremony instead. 

The second part of his graduation is his Bachelor's Degree in Business...yes, the two are chronologically backward, but the important part is that he earned both degrees within a four year time frame, and that he did so with a cum laude grade point average. Also notable, is that he accomplished that and traveled to Australia for study, and business classes in London while he completed his work.

Our elder son and his wife were appropriately proud of our Grandson. Because he graduated with honors, we sat with his parents and about four other families in the very front row of the auditorium. We were "VIPs" because he worked so hard. We even sat in front of all the graduates waiting to be presented with their diplomas!

After the ceremony, we all walked out to the shoreline of Lake Michigan - this portion of the shoreline belongs to the college - to take a few photographs. The weather cooperated fully, too, and it was a gorgeous day for a graduation.

We met with the rest of our family and some of Grandson's friends at a local restaurant, and shared a celebratory meal together. We're all so proud of our guy, and all that he's accomplished. He's definitely due a well-earned rest.

I'd just like to share one short story with you before I close this post. When we woke up yesterday, Handsome and I each had a song in our heads. This happens frequently, and we tell each other what we've been "hearing" each time it happens. During our conversation, I said something about something that had the word "foundation" in it. As often is the case, that triggered a musical thought. 

I asked Handsome if he remembered the hymn "The Church's One Foundation". He didn't know, so I began singing it to him. He recognized part of it, so I went to YouTube to play it for him. After I played it, I hit the replay - this time singing along. Fast forward to mid-afternoon.

The college is a faith-based campus, so the graduation ceremony began with the processional, a prayer - and a hymn. The music started and Handsome looked at me in shock. He said, "You just sang this this morning!" Son and daughter-in-law looked at us and said, "What?". We explained after the hymn finished.

Can you believe it? What a coincidence to have - out of all the hymns I know and love - this exact hymn be the one in my head this morning. I had to share the story with you to help me commit it to my blog memories, even though I'm not likely to ever forget this one!

I'm going to come back to earth after being on Cloud Nine all day yesterday. I think hickory syrup is in my immediate future...after my morning cuppa. I hope you have a great weekend!


10 comments:

  1. Congrats to your Grandson on all of his accomplishments, how wonderful!
    The hymn was meant to be,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Marilyn. I think you're right!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to your grandie! Well done. Can't get over how much your son looks like your Handsome. The hymn 'thing' is one of those things that occur and end up boggling your mind. It's like hearing a particular word on the tv at the exact same time as you're reading it in a book. Happens to me a lot and it's startling every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Thank you! We're so proud of him. Both boys do favor their dad. We're so proud of them, too, for raising such fine children. I've had the same thing happen when I'm reading or writing and listening to the television! So strange. You're right...startling, too!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to your grandson. That is huge accomplishment to complete both in 4 years and with excellent grades. I’m glad you and Handsome were able to join in the ceremony. Our church doesn’t sing hymns as often as we used to, but growing up in a Baptist church, it is deeply ingrained. Pretty cool that you were given that song before the ceremony! Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea! He's finishing on a 24 credit semester, too! We was up completing an assignment until 5 am the day of graduation. Poor guy looked tired. Our church went to updated hymnals, some music also updated, which I really didn't like. I love the old hymns. I like that you say I was "given that song". I'm going to hang on to that explanation. Thanks again.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Congratulations to the Fine Graduate!
    Happy Family!
    That is a beautiful story to write down, magical for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen:
      Thank you so much! We're so blessed with our sons, their wives and our grandchildren. We always remember just how much we've been given. Although I don't think I'll ever forget that story about the hymn, I wanted to be sure by committing it to my blog. I print out a blog book every year that contains all my posts. Well worth the $$$.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Sherry of createology: Proud just does not say enough for what your handsome Grandson has accomplished in this troubled world. He is a perfect example of family love and support. Congratulations with lots of Love and Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to your grandson on all his wonderful accomplishments.
    Great pictures and so many memories.
    And what are the chances of that hymn?
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna