May 28, 2024

Saturday Date Night...

About a month ago, Handsome asked me to reserve May 25th for a special date night. I made sure I wasn't on the schedule at work, and asked him multiple times (mostly in jest) "How should I dress for our date?" or "Where are we going on the 25th again?" or "Are we going somewhere we've gone before?"...all in an effort to get him to spill the beans on what I should expect from this surprise date night. 

He never waivered, just saying "I'm not telling you, so quit asking." I would...until the next time. lol

Finally, on Friday night, he asked me if I really wanted to know what he had planned for our date. I didn't hesitate. "Yes, please." I said. He informed me that we were going to go on a "sunset cruise" on the Road America race track in Elkhart Lake. This world-renowned track is only about twenty minutes from us, and on a good day, when the wind's just right, you can hear the cars racing over there.

What a wonderful idea! I was already looking forward to it.

The event was full, with one hundred fifty cars on the track Saturday night. Drivers got their rules before the cruise began. We had a pace car, and no one under any circumstances should pass the pace car. We'd do three laps around the track, and everyone had to "behave" or everyone would have to come off the track. In the event everyone was on their best behavior, the pace car driver could add one more lap. At no time did anyone drive over forty five miles per hour. We were nearest the end of the line of cars on the track.

Handsome took his driving very seriously. We had decided to take my Explorer, but there were trucks, a Ford Mustang club, a Mini Cooper, and many other makes and models of vehicles. There were even a few motorcycles. 

This was a silly selfie from before the drive began. We did, in fact, drive four laps. It was an absolutely perfect night for a sunset cruise.

Handsome said there are multiple other opportunities to drive the track again throughout the summer. He just may surprise me with another cruise on our calendar. I hope you enjoyed joining us on our Saturday night date!

16 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fun date!
    Glad you enjoyed it.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      We really needed a special night out and this fit the bill perfectly. It's nice the weather cooperated, too. Thanks, dear.
      xoxo,
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Aww, what a fun and unique date night! So sweet! Or should I say, "what a sweet ride!" 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Just what we needed, and a perfect venue. We love Road America.
      Thanks, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. That sounds like such a great date night and even nicer that it was a surprise. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      He's always had the best surprises. Too many to count through the years. Thanks, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Oh, that sunset is a wow! What a fun cruise. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi:
      My photo really didn't do it justice. There were wonderful rays like a corona through the clouds. An evening to remember, for sure.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a perfect date night! Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherry of createology: Wow! That is a very cool date night. How fun to drive a famous track and just enjoy the experience. Very Romantic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      It was a perfect night for a cruise. We really had fun, and it was nice to see the track from this perspective. I can't even imagine driving it at the speeds the cars usually drive it! We'll definitely do it again. Handsome is nothing if not romantic. sigh
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  7. Best kind of date ever! Okay, what can I say I've been a gear head forever.
    We have a half mile track about 20 minutes away and you can definitely hear them every
    Friday night. We used to go quite often. There is nothing more romantic than a race under
    the lights.
    Great selfie too.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      We really are soul sisters! I used to love going to a local dirt track to watch my younger brother race, too. It's so much fun when you actually know one of the drivers. I miss those days, as I'm sure you do, too. Thanks! I need a selfie stick to avoid the "Jimmy Durante effect" from short arms. lol
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna