May 30, 2024

A Couple of Snapshots From The Farmhouse...

Pheasant Back Mushroom

It was much too nice to spend the entire day indoors. Now that the rains have passed, Handsome and I could finally mow the lawn together. (We nearly needed a baler to pick up the clippings!) I took my cell phone with me so I could take a few photographs while I was in the yard.

I'd noticed this beauty last week, so I was glad that it was still in our yard to be able to share it with you. This is an edible pheasant back mushroom. While it's perfectly edible, I'd much rather enjoy it in the yard. 

I've found others on the property since we moved here. The first time was in 2017, and I wrote about it HERE. There were multiples, they were much larger, and about five feet off the ground in the fence row north of the farmhouse. This singleton is about five inches off the ground, and growing on a tree in our yard. Both trees are dying, but still wearing some leaves. I'm glad we didn't have the heart to take this tree down so it could be the guardian of this beautiful mushroom.

Fence Line Irises

While I like to fancy myself a gardener, I guess my green thumb is limited to the raised gardens. As I'm unable to spend great periods of time on my knees, the idea of weeding is a painful prospect. That means all the gorgeous flowers around the farmhouse thrive in spite of me. These irises were planted by Shelly's family when they still lived here, and they're about three and a half to four feet tall. They're reaching for the sun through all the "weeds" and grass that have encroached on their once-meticulous beds.

I'm still looking for a teenager or two for hire who would like to help me weed the gardens, and hope someone can get here soon. I'll supervise to make sure they don't pull the "good stuff" like the men we had here a couple years ago. Too many of the plants I put in disappeared into the refuse pile when they were here. I won't make that mistake again.

The forecast is for more beautiful weather, so I think it may be time to bring the yard furniture up to the porch. It would be lovely to stitch outdoors when the sun is shining. Maybe I'll be able to do that later today.

I hope the sun shines brightly on your face, and the soft breezes kiss the flowers where you are today. See you again tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. That's an awesome mushroom! We have many little ones growing in our grass because of all the rain.
    I also have purple Iris, & yellow ones. They've exploded this year.
    It seems every year there are more, but oh so pretty. My favorite flower, remind me of Mom, she always had them.
    I hope you find someone to help you.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I bet your yellow and purple irises are magnificent! These seem to get taller each year as they work through the weeds around them. I really owe them a good clearing so they have more breathing room. How lovely that yours remind you of your mom. That's how I ended up with hollyhocks here. I'm sure I'll find someone. A customer promised to bring his 14 year old son in so I could offer a proposal to work for us. Maybe I'll have him here next week. Fingers crossed.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. That's a gorgeous mushroom and I certainly wouldn't eat it either. Really hope you can locate someone to help you with the garden. Is there a bulletin board in the local post office? Maybe you could put up a notice there. Maybe call the high school to see if they have a job listing area for the students?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      It's about the size of my hand, and I'm hoping it's a scout so there will be more next year! I'm sure I'll get help in the garden soon. I just have to put a bit more effort into finding someone. Maybe next week. Your ideas are great. Thanks!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. I hope you have a wonderful time in your garden. I think flowers help inspire us to get into the fresh air. - Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy-
      I'm looking forward to planting my vegetables once I'm sure it's not too cool at night, even though we're past last frost. I do have a load of onions thriving right now! Hoping to do more work over the weekend. I must set aside stitching time, too!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. I think that mushroom looks great just where it is.
    How about your local Extension Office or 4-H for some yard help?
    And what about one of those garden kneeler things, they flip over to a seat so you don't
    have to kneel?
    The porch sounds very inviting.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I agree. The 'shroom will stay where it is this year. I'm curious to see just how big it gets. There might be a gardening group that helps senior citizens, too. I only just thought about that. I'll do more looking. I've been wanting one of those garden kneeler/seats for a while. There's another version with wheels, too. Perhaps this is the year I'll get one. This porch is so wonderful, I love being out there - even when it's too breezy to stitch. (wink)
      Thanks for the ideas!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna