May 14, 2024

Lilac Jelly...

Yesterday was lilac jelly day. By the time I finished, there were sixteen 4 ounce jars and eight 8 ounce jars of mild, sweet goodness for the pantry.

I made a double batch, which I've done before, but after water bathing the first batch, I didn't feel like it was going to set up, so I emptied all the jars, added more pectin and re-jarred everything. As of bedtime last night, it appeared to be turning into a jelly, but I think it may be a day or so before I'm confident. I really don't want to have to rework it again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I can say it tastes delicious, so I'm happy with that part. The jars are beautiful, and I'm looking forward to creating a lovely pound cake to become the base layer for said lilac loveliness.

I'm working today, but will be back to stitching on my frogs this afternoon after I get back home. Nothing like a little needle dancing to end the day.

9 comments:

  1. The jars are so pretty!
    I hope you get some fun time in!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so pretty! Really hope it's jelled for you because I know how much of a pain it is to rework it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Thanks, hon. Fortunately, no rework needed. whew! I agree. Reworking is a huge pain.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: Very pretty jars of Lilac Jelly. May it be jelled today so no more reworking it. A pound cake for it sounds delicious and perfect for a tea party. Happy Needle Dancing Dear…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Thank you, dear. Thankfully, it set up for me. I have my grandmother's pound cake recipe which is awesome, so I'll be baking one very soon! I'll be dancing away.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. It is very pretty! (Another BH&G photo!) I was wondering if it didn't jell, could you still pour it over the pound cake, allowing it to soak in? I've never had lilac jelly so I don't have a flavor in mind to consider...but, I have struggled with noncooperative jelly and would rather think of another use than continue to work with it. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Thank you, dear. You're so kind. I hadn't thought of infusing the cake with it. That's a grand idea! I'll definitely keep that in mind. This batch has finally jelled, but I had to rework the strawberry preserves I did in the past month, too. I wonder what the issue is? I'm always paying attention to the recipes, which I follow closely. The only thing I can think is that I used bottled lemon juice (which I've used in the past, with no issue), and the recipe calls for the juice of one lemon. I'm truly stumped on this issue.I think I'll go back to the tomatoes and meats on my list for a while, while I mull that over.
      Thanks again for the idea!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna