June 27, 2019

A Parade On The Farm...

Brynwood Needleworks - "Big Daddy" Raccoon In The Field

Let me apologize, right off the bat, for these crummy photos. I should be ashamed of myself. I have an honest-to-goodness Nikon D200, but I was already on the porch when this all transpired. So sorry.

I watched Big Daddy raccoon forage all the way across the field late yesterday afternoon, as he munched on what leftover corn was still out there. It's planted in soy beans now, but the only critters interested in the shoots would be the deer, sandhill cranes, and turkeys.

Big Daddy started all the way north near the second rise in this picture, and worked his way across the field nearly to our lawn. He's a big boy, as I'd seen him with a little girlfriend on our porch last winter. They came around for the kitten food that I'd been putting out for the opossums, but I knew that they couldn't be hanging around on the porch, so I took up the food and put it into the compass barn, where the 'possums were sleeping anyway. The raccoons went back to the woods.

So, as I watched "Big Daddy", I noticed that he was paying more and more attention to the woods along our east property line. He was moving more quickly than he had been. I figured that the deer we've been watching all week were on their way out to graze.

I was hearing quite a ruckus, which is unlike deer who seems to move with a stealth equal to the most talented ninja. I leaned back in my chair on the porch, and waited (with my stupid cell camera in hand).

Brynwood Needleworks - "Little Mama" and Babies

Wouldn't you just know it? Little Raccoon (Now named "Little Mama") came out of the woods with five (FIVE) babies in tow! They paraded right across our front lawn to our huge, old maple tree.

Brynwood Needleworks - "Little Mama" and Babies

Little Mama was teaching lessons. All of them were snuffling around the base of the maple, and then she took them out into the lawn and rooted around in the grass. I'm sure she sensed I was there, as she kept standing on her hind legs with her nose in the air. I sat, stock-still, so although she could smell "human", she wasn't alarmed.

Brynwood Needleworks - "Little Mama" and Babies

After a little while, she and the kits headed toward the north field, too. They all ran to keep up with their mama, and other than their noisy entrance to the yard, they were remarkably quiet. I've held babies this small before, but they were orphans that I saved off the roadway. Never with a protective mother to scold me. Those babies were chittering and squeaking the whole time. Theses guys were quiet, and there was no way I was going to interfere with their evening lessons - or alarm their mama!

Brynwood Needleworks - "Little Mama" and Babies
 
Just before they left our (newly-mowed) lawn, Little Mama stood on her hinds legs just one more time. I rewarded her by letting her see me slowly stand and leave the porch through our front screen door. She watched me the whole time, but didn't bolt. 
 
After I was inside, I watched her collect her little ones, turn for the corner of the field, and slowly amble back into the woods. I imagine she met up with Big Daddy and told him all about seeing me, and now I now I think I know who's been raiding the oriole feeders at night. 
 
Every morning I go out to check the feeders, and find all the grape jelly gone - with the bowls strewn across the lawn. In fact, one is missing right now. I looked everywhere, with no luck finding it. I guess they really are little rascals.

Again, I'm not purposely doing anything to invite them into the yard, but they're safe when they're here. I don't know why, but Snow White's music rings in my ears when I see the opossums, squirrels, chipmunks or raccoons on our property. lol Can't you just see me twirling around in a dress and pinafore? I know. Me either. Stop laughing!

Time for coffee, and then a trip to town for my monthly haircut. I have no idea what else today will bring, but I know that when I think about Little Mama and her babies on our lawn, I'll stop and smile. Have a great day! I'll be back tomorrow.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

2 comments:

  1. Donna you must be a Raccoon Whisperer to have them so close and not run off. Mama really does trust you and that is very rare. Lovely day to you dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! It's funny, but since I had the trees cut down and the other trees trimmed severely I have been seeing more birds and squirrels. I have never had a problem spotting my geckos. Jim bought me a dustpan several years ago. It is a copper colored one but the thing that made it special was he found it on Etsy. It was vintage and it had a music box under the rim that plays, Whistle While You Work. I can't tell you how that little thing can bring a smile when I am sweeping up, now more than ever. Since I am never out of a dress or skirt during the day and I always wear a starched apron, if more animals keep coming to my back yard maybe I will go out and sing to them. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna