May 20, 2017

A Day Of Abundance...

Amish Waste Container

Sis came out to the farmhouse yesterday. She had things she wanted to give me, and a request to deliver. It was also a chance to show off how much work I've done since her last visit when I first got back here.

When I celebrated Easter with her and her partner, Jim, I saw her gorgeous oak waste container. It has a tip out front that conceals and contains a waste basket for her kitchen. I told her how much I loved it and she told me it was a gift from Jim, handcrafted by the Amish, near where I used to live. She told me that he could pick one up for me next time he goes back to the area. (I told her that I would pay for it up front, or reimburse him when he brought it. Deal!)

Amish Waste Container In Our Farm Pantry

As luck would have it, he and his sister went back last weekend and picked up one of them for me. He and Sis delivered it to me yesterday. I knew exactly where I wanted it to go in the pantry, and I placed one of our cutting boards on top of it. It fits in perfectly, don't you think?

Chair Caned By Mom

This was a gift I knew was coming, but receiving it was an emotional event. This is likely one of the last chairs that Mom caned, and now it belongs to me. It's a gorgeous chair, and knowing that Mom's hands restored it to its original glory makes it more beautiful to me.

Chair Carving Detail

Even the little bit of carving is perfect. Nothing over the top. Just lovely, understated and quiet...just like Mom. I'll treasure it always.

Caned Footstool

As Mom got older, it was more difficult for her to comfortably cane chairs. Jim made these sweet little stools, and then she was able to cane them on her lap while sitting. This was also one of the last pieces she caned. I'll find just the perfect place for it, too, but for now, I'll keep it near the chair.

Handcrafted Bird Feeder

Jim has been busy since Easter, too. He pulled out this great bird feeder to give to us. He made this especially for us at the farm.

Handcrafted Bird Feeder
 
I knew Jim is a talented woodworker. I've seen projects he's created for Sis, including her garden shed and back porch, so I shouldn't have been surprised to see this whimsical, bearded gent who will reside in our garden. It's so much fun, and so well made!
 
It was so nice to have Sis and Jim here, and all these gifts were bonus. There was one more thing...a gift with my name on it in Mom's handwriting. I'll tell you about that another day. This is more than enough for today.
 
It's the weekend again (already). Make it a good one, my friend.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

5 comments:

  1. What treasures! It's amazing how rich your life has been since you decided to move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heirlooms and family treasures are Priceless...along with the time spent enjoying one another. Jim is very talented in woodworking and I adore his whimsical birdhouse. Your chair and stool are beautiful and the cane work is amazing. Abundance is wonderful when it involves you and Hickory Hill Farm Sweet Donna. The weekend is indeed here and it is time to enJOY every minute we have. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. The farm is fast becoming a home to treasures and memories of its new owners and family. Seems fitting for the precious farm and all of you. So well deserved and loved. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, all wonderful treasures. I esp. love the chair that your mother caned :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful day! You're so fortunate to have some of your Mom's work and the birdhouse is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna