January 8, 2024

Weekend Update...

 
The cabinet installation began on Saturday, rather than Friday last weekend. The electrician's task was a little more involved than anticipated (of course it was), so Jeff came back on Saturday to bring the cabinet bases into the pantry.

After having the shorter cabinets for the past seven years, having the taller cabinets (which we've had in the past) took a minute to get used to. Now, we're really looking forward to everything being done so we can enjoy them.

 
Jeff was wise to caution me not to fill them yet, as I absolutely would have had he not said something. These are the exact same color as the cabinets we put in the kitchen area, and now my decision is whether or not to paint the bases all the way around the room, leaving the tops white.
 
There is one more cabinet to install - an upper from the set that we used to flank the range in the kitchen - and I'm anxious to see that one up. I love the wood so much, that I'm inclined not to paint it at all. I'll share photos once it's up for your opinion, but for now, I have other things to attend to.
 
This wall is going to need to be repainted. Jeff will repair the drywall where the electrician had to open things up to run lines. Then I'll have to wait a day for everything to completely dry. I'll paint on Tuesday and he'll come back to hang that cabinet when I'm done. Once that happens, the electrician will be back to install the fixtures for us. 
 
Jeff and the counter tech, Zach will be here today. Zach will take measurements for the new counter. Jeff will be here to ask the tech a few questions about the small end cabinet at the far end of the pantry, and to do the drywall repair. We're supposed to get a doozy of a snowstorm, so it will be perfect weather for me to paint and then work in the studio. 
 
We got snow for Handsome's Birthday, but this may dump as much as eleven inches. I guess we're due for it, though, as we've hardly had any white stuff so far this winter. It's just that I'd prefer a little at a time, rather than that much all at once. I know. I'm a whiner. lol

I'm headed to the kitchen now to wait for the guys to get here. Tag will be back tomorrow to carry on (as usual). I'll be back on Wednesday!

10 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Handsome!
    The kitchen is starting to take shape, looking good!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I'll definitely pass that along. Thanks!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Must admit I'm quite jealous of your higher countertops/cabinets. We installed higher ones in our previous house and loved them but of course we're not allowed to change the ones here. DH built a cabinet (from a kit) and put it up on casters which makes it a bit higher but sadly the cabinet isn't standing the test of time (not his fault!) and we'll have to replace it before too long. Wish we had a handy-dandy Jeff in our lives to build us a new one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I must say it's going to take a little bit of adjustment for me to get back to high countertops. I fear I won't be able to see into my mixer once it's in its new spot. I'm sure it will be fine, but using those short ones helped with some things. Sorry your cabinet isn't holding up. I lucked out when we first moved here. I found a great two-shelf, wooden-top work station that was really well-built. Even though the current baking cabinet will be retired to the outdoor future summer kitchen, that cart is going to stay inside. I only paid $25 US when I purchased it, too, so that was a bonus.
      Big hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Oh, the sheer delight of seeing beautiful progress! LOL...I would have wanted to start filling the cabinets, too! I'm quite sure contractors are used to seeing that crazed twinkle in a woman's eyes that says their gung-ho on keeping that project moving forward...even attempting to race ahead of the contractor's progress. We are terribly, um, good? (ok, impatient 😏) at wanting our "safe havens" back in order. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Exactly!!! The chaos is maddening. I'm keeping myself occupied in the studio so that I don't try to rush the process, but dang...I have kitchen stuff in the dining room, and chaos in the kitchen. It is helping me sort through what will stay and what will go, though. wink I'll sure be glad when I can put everything back in order.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday to Handsome, best wishes for a happy, healthy year ahead.
    Now that's my kind of weekend.
    That's great progress and another day closer to the finish.
    Sunday brought ten inches of the white stuff and now two to four inches of
    rain on top of that this Wednesday and fifty degrees. Go figure.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      We're expecting 8-11" overnight tonight. I guess our luck's run out, but the farmer's will love having the white stuff to hydrate the soil for spring. Bless them, but I'm not a fan. It's about the only time I miss Florida these days. sigh Stay warm, my friend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday to Handsome Son!

    The project looks to be going along well. It will be fun to see the final results.
    Take it easy and get your rest

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps - I neglected to wish Handsome a very happy Birth Day (week?).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna