January 17, 2024

Almost Finished...

Pantry when we purchased the farmhouse in 2016

This is the pantry that caught my eye when we first came to see the farmhouse when it was listed for sale. I fell in love with all the storage space and the tip-out bins on the left side. Those cabinets were only 24" tall. My uncle came to paint the interior of the entire farmhouse before we ever moved in, so I ask him to paint all this woodwork white while he was at it.

Pantry sink cabinet in 2016

Self-explanatory. This is the cabinet that Shelly and her brothers crafted to hold the sink and cleaning supplies. This cabinet was 33" high.

Pantry in 2023

Over the seven years we've been here, our pantry evolved into this. The lower cabinets served to hold our coffeemaker, mixer, and more recently our (really) compact dishwasher.

Pantry in 2023 - Sink cabinet

While the sink was certainly functional, we were used to having larger sinks and taller cabinets in our previous homes, and there were days that doing the dishes at this sink was a backache waiting to happen (for either one of us). I drew a photo for Handsome with my vision for a "half remodel", because I still love all the storage space we have on the rest of the pantry. 

We contacted Jeff, shared my drawing and he soon came back with his more professional rendering and a price we could live with. We scheduled this job to commence after the holidays, and in spite of the recent weather, we're on track to finish up the job this week.

Pantry in January 2024

Even though it's not complete, I had to share updated photos with you. We still have to go and get the drawer and cabinet hardware, fashion a new window sill that's more suitable against the counter, and install the outlets, switches, and lighting fixtures. That's happening today.

Pantry sink cabinet in 2024

Our new sink is a full 7" wider than the original one, which means that even my biggest pots will fit flat in this one. Heck, it's large enough to bathe a Corgi (although I won't here)!

Our new counter is a beautiful white quartz with the lightest of beige and pale gray veining. The faucet is also new, and we now have a cold water line that is fed directly from the well, bypassing the water softener. The hot water line remains softened water. Now, cold water from the faucet will taste sweet and delicious, rather than having a "conditioned" taste, which I have always been able to taste. (I know. Princess and the Pea vibes.)

This gives you a glimpse of the new, next to the original. At some point we'll switch out the original cabinet doors for the kind that sit on top of the framework - like the new - rather than inset. No matter how we sand or adjust, as soon as the weather gets humid, the doors stick. Mounting new ones outside the framework will eliminate that. They're fine as is for now, though.

I cleaned and reset all the spice bottles (which I'd boxed up during construction). The mug rack also stayed on the wall, but the mugs had been removed to keep them from being broken, too. My baking and cooking aprons hang on hooks right now, but I'll probably move them elsewhere to keep a clean look in here.

I'm also going to get a quote for luxury vinyl plank floors throughout the kitchen, main entry, pantry. a back hall areas. Those will be next on the list to bring the floors up to par with this remodel. I'm hoping we can have that done by the end of the year. 

If you followed my blog when we lived in Florida, I actually laid a plank floor myself in a spare bedroom. My knees still twinge whenever I think about that job. I'll let someone else do it next time!

Oh, and the compact dishwasher will go down on the very end of the counter - to the right of the sink - as soon as the electrician leaves today. I wanted to keep it out of the way until after he did his work. 

Thanks to Jeff Voelker, our master carpenter (St. Cloud, WI) who worked his magic from my primitive drawings. Jeff was the lead carpenter when we built our home in Campbellsport, WI, which was our home for seventeen years before we moved to Florida. Thanks also to Paul Schneider, our plumber from Silica Plumbing and Heating, Silica, WI; Jim Reimer who owns All R Electric from Plymouth, WI; and Tim Twohig and his counter installers from Quest Interiors of Fond du Lac, WI.

So, what do you think? Feel free to ask any questions, and I'll do my best to answer them. I just keep walking into the pantry now, leaning on the counter in front of the sink and counting my blessings. I'm one truly lucky girl.

21 comments:

  1. It's beautiful!
    I love the cabinet color too.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! Though I have to say, the beginning rose and brown had old world charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi:
      It's what drew me to the farmhouse, along with the tall ceilings. Thanks so much!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Beautiful workspace. Well designed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pantry. The amount of space is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen:
      Thanks so much. We wanted to retain parts of the original floor plan, but fulfill our own needs at the same time. It was such a pleasure to wash dishes as I watched the little sparrows eating at the feeders today.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. The updates are so nice. You are really going to enjoy it, especially the window over the sink. - Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy:
      I'm already so glad we moved the sink. It's nice to have the view of our yard and the bird feeders while I work. Thanks so much!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. It’s beautiful! Enjoy your new space. Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
  7. That huge sink and all that counter space!! Swoon! I bet you can't wait to get in there and begin enjoying that lovely "newer and improved" work space! Oh, the satisfaction of just going in and looking at the shelves filled with your canned goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Jeff had asked me not to fill the cabinets yet. Of course, I thought he meant until the plumber was done. Silly me. He stopped by to see how everything looked with the countertop, and said, "Wow!" when he saw it. Then, he opened one of the drawers, looked at me and smiled. I promised him I'd empty drawers when he comes to install the hardware. hee hee I baked a short batch of bread as we were almost out. Having the mixer at "my height" with everything right at hand was a pleasure! You're so right. Thanks!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  8. I'd be counting my blessings if I had that wonderful pantry kitchen too! I love the blend of the old cupboards at the back and the new ones. I so much envy you that counter space too - that's more than twice as much as we have in our little apartment. Enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      When we first moved in, having painted and restored the original maple floors, I told Andy and Shelly that we weren't tearing down walls and such, as we wanted to honor the house. I did say that we needed to do more in the kitchen/pantry and I was going to continue to do my best to honor who and what was here before. He said, "You've honored the house enough. It's yours now. Do what you want." I hope Shelly and her family would be pleased. Thanks so much!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  9. Sherry of createology: Donna this is such a gorgeous peaceful kitchen now. I love your colors and your layout with the sink under the window. The warm wood cabinet and shelves are just perfect. You have had a wonderful team of workers. I cannot imagine how the beautiful quartz counter made it in without a mishap. Blessings are indeed appropriate for your remodeled kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Thanks so much, dear. Before they brought in the countertop, we disengaged the storm door so it swung all the way open, and I cleared a few mobile cabinets out of the way to give them a straight shot in. I went upstairs for just a few minutes, and when I came down, they had it in the pantry! All ten feet of it! Those guys were awesome (it took all three of them to carry it up and in.) I wanted to hug each one before they left, but I refrained. lol I'm going to enjoy it for a long, long time.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  10. It's beautiful.
    Also fun to see how a project evolves over the years.
    I'm really in love with the wood cabinet and two shelves.
    It's just gorgeous.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      Thanks so much! I'm glad I could keep a photo record of where we started and where we are now. I'm so happy that you love the wood cabinet and shelves. They're a favorite feature for me, too.
      Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  11. Your new pantry is beautiful 😍 I think you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your new pantry is beautiful 😍 I think you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna