January 5, 2024

Day Two...

 
 
Our plumber, Paul arrived at 8:15 yesterday morning, planning to just do a little roughing in. Open the wall in a hundred five year old house, and you just never know what you'll find. Oh. Before anyone asks, that's not mold on the wall. It's old, old plaster that has decades of dirt. The location on the wall is behind where the two wooden tip out cabinets were. I used one for plastic storage containers and the other for recyclables. I don't know how there were used before. Just out of curiosity, I'll ask Shelly next time I see her.
 
I was going to try to clean the walls with soap and water, but Jeff said I should probably leave the old plaster alone. I'm going to look in the basement, because I think I have some Kilz that I can use to paint over it. He said that would be okay.
 
Back to the plumbing...Everything was going along like clockwork when Paul cut off a line that should have been dead. He had done all the disconnecting before cutting it, but apparently it was being fed from a source he didn't know about. 
 
Handsome went downstairs to the basement for something and there was water running all over the floor. It took a while to tease out the source, and even after Paul stopped the water and capped off a line, none of us can figure out how that rogue line was fed and where it ultimately went. All we know is it won't leak again and the job was back on track.

By the end of a long work day, he'd stubbed in the drain line for the new sink location, and had the water line for the hot water rerouted. The cold water line will come straight from the main line coming into the house, so he'll do that when he connects everything on the 16th.


I wanted to share this perspective to show you the light fixture on the ceiling, because that's going to change, too. The new fixture for that spot is much more to our liking and will really cast a lot of light. We also have a fixture that will go right above the window to shine down on the sink.

That little end cabinet is staying so that we don't have to rework the end cabinets to accommodate a height change. Jeff took the formica counter off it, and we haven't determined whether or not we can squeeze the thickness of our new counter in the space vacated by the old one. We'll find that out on Monday when the counter guys are here. If we can't, Jeff will likely build a butcher block to fit in there. I'm happy either way.

So, we're still on schedule. Jeff will be here in the morning while the electrician, Jim is here, and then he'll install the base cabinets when Jim leaves. I can't wait to show you how things will have changed when you check in tomorrow. 

10 comments:

  1. Looks like they are really progressing.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the rogue water line could be dealt with rather quickly! It's best to go into a project like this expecting the unexpected, especially in a home of that age. You know, "the best laid plans of mice and men..." I'm enjoying seeing the progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      That's for sure! ugh I have to go to the studio so I don't just sit and watch the meter run. lol
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Typical of old farmhouses to have 'mystery' things to puzzle over. Good thing Handsome went downstairs or it might have meant another plumber call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I was thinking the same thing! That would have been awful.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Well I'm enjoying this exciting start to the New Year.
    Great progress and all on schedule.
    Enjoy the weekend.
    Looks like a bit of snow for us.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      Looks like winter is finally taking hold here, too. We're supposed to get snow tomorrow.
      yippee. not. lol
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Sherry of createology: My comment wouldn’t post yesterday. I am very excited to follow your remodel. I adore old everything…especially farmhouses and I am pleased to see you are keeping its charm in your remodel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      It's already looking so different now. I'm replying to this on Monday evening, and today I spent painting trim before it's installed. Looks like there's wall painting in my future tomorrow, too. As long as things keep on schedule, I'm good. I'm anxious to have our new sink/faucet installed. Washing dishes in the half bath is a little more than inconvenient. I try to do my best to honor the farmhouse, but I'm not about to pump water and scrub dishes in the local creek. I'm willing to give up a bit of floor space to make this modern concession. Hope you'll like the finished look.
      xoxo
      Donna
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna