January 4, 2024

Sinkless...

 
I snapped this photograph before I ran out the door yesterday morning for a haircut. Our friend (and master carpenter) Jeff arrived at 9 am and began the tear out of our pantry cabinets. By the time I got back home, he was finished and ready for our plumber to come today to rough in the plumbing for the new sink and faucet (to be located in front of the window).

We're having the cold water rerouted to bypass the water softener, so that it will become drinking water fresh from our well. The well water is clean and sweet and I can definitely tell the difference between that and the softened water. We currently trek up the road to a local public artesian well and cart home gallon bottles of well water. Every once in a while, Handsome tries to test whether or not I can tell the difference by filling my glass from the faucet rather than the bottles from the well. I can always taste the difference. It will be wonderful to pull that same delicious water straight from the tap after our remodel is complete. We won't need to haul well water anymore, which is bonus.

The sad news is that with the tear out, we're without a kitchen sink until the plumbing is hooked into the new sink and faucet. That can't happen until after the new countertop is installed on January 15th. The cabinets have to be installed before the guys can measure for the counter, and then we wait a week for them to come back for the install. The plumber will be back the day after to hook everything back up. We'll make that schedule work, but I'll be opting for paper plates to offer a little break from having to cobble up a wash station in our little half bath around the corner from the pantry.
 
Tomorrow the electrician will be here to add another outlet and switch above the location for the baking cabinet. He'll also add a connection for an undermount strip light for the same spot. We're not putting in a full-size dishwasher, but he'll add a box under the sink in the event someone wants to do that in the future. We're changing out the overhead fixture for a new one, and adding a light above the sink, too.

After the electrician does his magic, Jeff will install the new cabinets so they're ready for the countertop guys on Monday. I can't wait to show those to you. It's all so exciting!

I'll be back with more updates and show you what I'm working on next. See you tomorrow! Have a great day.
 

10 comments:

  1. Sound like a lot of progress is being made already!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      It's only Day 2 and I can't wait for it to be done already! lol
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's an organized work plan! Here's hoping all goes according to schedule! Looking forward to seeing the progress...and, in the mean time, amen to paper plates! (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Even using paper plates, I had to figure out a system to wash the prep dishes/pans and utensils in our little 1/2 bath around the corner from the pantry. A tv tray with a dish drainer in the hall, my dish pan to "stage" the dirty dishes, and one of my mixing bowls for washing, so I could rinse in the sink. I'm really going to appreciate the new setup when it's done!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. All the upheaval will be worth it in the end even though it's hard going through the process. Hope all goes according to plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      You're absolutely right, my friend. So far, so good.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Oh Donna I know what you are experiencing...I was without a kitchen sink and countertop from November to February last year...it was worth it but for us cooks and chief bottle washers it creates a bit of a challenge. Enjoy when it is finished. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie:
      When the counter guys told me I'd have to wait a week from measure to install, I said, "A week?!" He replied, "Most folks have to wait for six weeks." I told him I wouldn't complain again. I can't imagine being without from November to February. You're a saint! Most of our remodels were either living in one home while another was being built, or a couple day turnaround (in Florida). I guess I've been thoroughly spoiled, but I sure will appreciate the finished results.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. As soon as I saw no kitchen sink I immediately thought paper plates.
    Great idea with the well water. Being a country/farm girl I am a water snob.
    The inconvenience is well worth the end product.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      Yep. That's where my head went, too. Now if I could just get every meal catered so I didn't have any auxilliary dishes, etc. to deal with, I'd really be spoiled! I'm a water snob, too. Florida water stunk and had to go through a reverse osmosis setup in our back yard to be tolerable, and even then, we bought bottled water for drinking. I never thought I'd live somewhere that we couldn't drink right from the hose, but there we were for 17 years. I really appreciate our water more than ever, and our well water is perfect from the hose, so I know it will be the best from the sink after they run a direct line from the main source into the house. I agree. It will be worth the wait.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna