April 13, 2023

They're Back!...

 
I thought I'd seen a flash of blue in the yard two days ago. Yesterday it was confirmed. The bluebirds have returned to Hickory Hill Farm! 

I was standing in the yard, talking with Andy. It's been a long winter and these most recent days with temperatures in the 70s has coaxed all of us out of the house. As we stood on the drive near the compass barn, I saw that flash of blue again. Not wanting to startle them as this pair inspected accommodations to raise this year's brood, I took a couple (less-than-ideal) photographs to share.


I'm so glad I cleaned out two of the three bluebird houses on our property over the weekend. I attempted to clean the third, but when I opened it, a happy, plump field mouse dropped out of it. Claudette saw it and wanted to collect it, but I picked her up and took her back to the house until she forgot about it. I closed the house back up and actually put a feeder with sunflower seeds near the house because...I didn't have time to knit a little sweater for it. (Just kidding. Mostly.)

This old fence is beginning to fall down. I grabbed some stay straps to pull back a couple panels where the wood had rotted off the nails, but I think this year will be the summer we replace it...but not until after the bluebirds have fledged their babies.


I've been watching the Hummingbird Central Spring 2023 Migration map for hummingbirds this past week and see that they're getting close. I'll get out the hummer feeders, re-clean them (I always put them away clean in the Compass Barn), and make up a batch of nectar. They'll go up on their hooks later this morning so the little travelers have food once they arrive.

In case you'd like to explore the Hummingbird Central website for yourself, I'll share the link. Just click HERE.

After this past winter season, it's wonderful to see the fields greening, the deer grazing to the north of the farmhouse, and the sight and sounds of happy birds returning. I think I'll spend more time outdoors today. What are your plans?

8 comments:

  1. I have never seen a real bluebird despite knowing that they're in the area. I keep hoping though.
    Didn't know there was a Hummingbird map so thank you for that. Will be fun to see when they might be back in our area.
    Plans for me - playing chief cook and nursemaid to Resident Chef who is recovering from minor surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Glad the map will come in handy for you! Take good care of Resident Chef. I'll pray for a speedy recuperation for him.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing the link for the hummingbird migration. I had one show up down here about a week ago at my feeder. I was jumping around like a kid. When they arrive, it is definitely spring. I hope you have some soon. - Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy:
      How exciting! I always love it when they and the bluebirds return. I'm kind of hoping they wait until later next week because we're supposed to get cold, crummy snow/showers on Monday. Ugh already!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the hummingbird link. I was just thinking about getting the feeders out yesterday, that will be my Saturday project. I had bluebirds here in March, it got very cold and a little bit of snow and they were gone. This has been a great week for yard work. We have never been able to get the yard in order until the end of April, so this has been a great change.
    Enjoy your outdoors time today.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      Sorry yours didn't stay around longer. Have fun watching for the little hummers. My feeders are up and waiting. We've got another bout of crummy weather coming, in spite of 80º here today! I spent time out in the yard with the dogs, and even got some new containers for my garden this year (including one stock tank!). I'm anxious to fill them and get some seeds started.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. I've only seen 1 Bluebird since we moved here.
    I'm sure they're around, just out of sight.
    I also put the Hummie feeders out.
    I was hoping they didn't come back yet when it was so cold & snowy.
    Sometimes they come back in March.
    The weather has been beautiful, I'm outside doing yardwork this week.
    Some green buried under old grass & weeds.
    Picked some Hyacinths, the house smells wonderful!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn;
      The hyacinths sound heavenly! I'm sure loving this weather, but knowing more crummy stuff is in the offing is a little upsetting. I hope it turns out to just be rain. That I can handle. Enjoy what appears to be "mostly Spring" and a great weekend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna