April 27, 2023

Canning Soup...

 
I canned Fifteen Bean Soup yesterday. I had bags of dried bean soup mix, frozen tomatoes from last fall, home canned stewed tomatoes from last fall, and dehydrated stew mix vegetables, so I decided to make some "meals in jars" using my pressure canner.

 
The beans soaked up more of the tomatoes than I anticipated, so these jars hold more of a "starter" than actual soup, but I don't mind that. When I serve it, I'll plan to add some of my pressure canned beef or chicken, and then add a bit of beef or chicken stock, as appropriate. 

 
Of the thirteen pints I put into the pressure canner, two didn't seal. One jar went into the fridge, and part of the other became my dinner. I hadn't added any salt to the jars, opting instead to season it as it heated. That way when I open the other cans, I can season them to accommodate the other ingredients I'll add as I cook it. 

I'm very happy with how the soup turned out. It was a hearty, tasty, and simple meal. When Handsome gets home, I'll also make buttermilk biscuits as a side, and then the meal will be complete. The jars sat overnight on the counter, so this morning I'll clean the outsides of the jars with vinegar, make sure the rest of the jars have viable seals, label them, and then put them away in the pantry. More good eats. Just what the doctor ordered!
 
Today is Carly's Birthday! We'll celebrate with Handsome and our girl once they're back home, but I wanted to recognize that it's her special day. Happy Third Birthday to The Kid.
 

7 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm, that soup looks so good.
    I prefer homemade other then store bought, that's way too salty.
    Happy Birthday to Carly!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I agree. I didn't add salt either. I can always add a bit later after I add the other ingredients - if it needs it. Thanks for Carly's Birthday wishes, too!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. All those jars filled with soup-y goodness. You've been a busy girl.
    Happy Birth Day to Carly - I'm sure her celebration will be just coming home to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I'm really happy with my efforts, and the actual time expended was only a couple hours. Afterward, I had a sandwich, sat in Handsome's recliner and promptly dozed off! I agree about celebrating with Carly. I'll be so happy just having her home with my sweetheart.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: Happy 3rd Birthday Carly! I see a celebration in your near future. Donna your pantry is so well stocked. These soups look delicious. I missed yesterday’s post but that squirrel is just perfect and was meant to be yours! You are rocking the long birthday celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I'll pass your greetings on to The Kid when she gets home. We'll celebrate for sure! I really love being able to shop our own cupboards. It's so satisfying, and was a way of life before grocery stores. I'd like to have more of that than shopping...especially since so much of our store bought food is less and less healthy. I'm glad you like the squirrel. You'd be surprised at the size. Maybe I'll try to get a photo of me next to it so you can see how big it is! All these years, but I think you're right. I'm getting really good at extending my Birthday celebrations!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Oh boy, leave you unsupervised for a few months and look what happens, the pantry is stocked.
    I agree on the less healthy store bought food.
    Happy Birthday Carly!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna