April 28, 2023

Cowboy Candy...

 
Four pounds of jalapeños became four half pints, plus two (half-half pint?) small jars yesterday. Handsome isn't fond of them, but I love their sweet heat addition to tacos, beef sandwiches, or burgers. I never add the extra red pepper flakes called for in the recipe, because it's usually way too hot for my taste when I do. 

The batch I grew last summer were really hot, plus I left the seeds when I canned them. Lesson learned. They were almost atomic hot, and while beautiful in the jars, they were demonic in food. This batch started with two large jars of milder, sliced jalapeños I purchased at the grocery store. I mixed up the ingredients for the sweet syrup and proceeded with the rest of the recipe. I could dip my finger in the remaining syrup (after the peppers had been cooked in it) and it was perfect for my taste. We'll see if that changes after they marinate in the jars for the next two weeks.

My last physical therapy session for my hand is today. The doctor is stumped, the PT isn't really making a difference, so I'll be on my own after this appointment. It's okay. I rest it when I can, and truthfully, I'm sick of running to the clinic twice a week when I'd rather be doing something anything else.When I get back home, I may sit and stitch a bit. My hand feels a bit better after the sessions, so I'll enjoy the short respite while I can.

Jeepers, it's Friday again! This time next week, Handsome and Carly will be home (where they belong). I'm smiling just thinking about it. I hope you have a great weekend, and that you get to do something you love with someone you love. See you tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. The jars all look so pretty! :)
    I'm sorry they can't find a solution to your hand, seems odd.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      It's okay, hon. I guess it may be an injury I wasn't aware of at the time or just plain overuse from typing, stitching, and ahem...old age. lol I'm just going to pamper it when I can, and heat or medicate it when I have to keep going. Thanks for your concern.
      Big Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Sherry of createology: Your Cowboy Candy looks beautiful. I am afraid it would be too hot for me! As for Physical Therapy I have never had much relief from it. Hubby is not a fan either. His back is no better whenever he goes to PT and does the exercises at home. I hope resting your hand helps the best so you can continue stitching. Blessings Dear…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I can't take much heat, and my tasting of this at jarring time was very mild. I never add the red pepper flakes as called for in the recipe, and this batch of regular jalapeños in a jar were already mild. I think you could handle these. I have to agree on the PT this time. It really didn't make any difference. Although my grip in that hand is slightly improved, I still got shooting pains when I had to do a retest at the end of the session using the tools that measure grip pressure of my whole hand, and individual fingers. By the time I left, my hand was hurting again. ugh Resting it does help, and I'll just medicate when I want to stitch longer than an hour or so.
      Thanks for your concern, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. I have never played with those kind of peppers, primarily because I've heard so many stories of how they burn your skin. My hands are sensitive to pretty much everything (ever heard of someone allergic to aloe?!!) so I don't dare go there. I can imagine having a little bit of your creation on a cracker with some cream cheese though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps - meant to say how sad I am that they couldn't find a solution for your hands. At least they didn't insist you have some sort of surgery, which no doubt would have been totally unnecessary.

      Delete
    2. Hi MA:
      Usually I'll use gloves when working with peppers, but I didn't this time as they were in liquid in a jar from the grocery. I just tossed them all into a strainer before turning them into the syrup. Once they'd cooked in the syrup, I used a slotted spoon to get them into the jars. I understand severe allergies, though. My dear nephew (Jan's elder son) has always had terrible allergies (skin and otherwise). When my Mum used to kiss him when he was a baby, he'd get a big welt on his cheek in the shape of her lips from the lipstick. In spite of years of treatments, creams and medications, he's still got skin issues. He's also allergic to certain foods. You might have a serious reaction to peppers, so it might be best that you're avoiding them. Regarding my hands...Before I left the therapist suggested that if the pain continues, I might consider asking the doctor for a cortisone shot. I'm not likely to do that when I already can get relief from medicine (I take Ibuprofen or tramadol when it's bad). The shot - if it even worked, as it sure didn't on my knee - isn't likely to help either.) I'll rest it or medicate when I want to stitch. Thanks for your concern, my friend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. As pretty as those jars are, I'm afraid I'm with handsome on that one.
    I was hoping the PT would help your hand. I'm with you on running to the clinic
    twice a week, it breaks up my day and I lose my momentum. I just finished twelve
    sessions on tendons in my foot. It did help and I can do the exercises at home.
    Have a wonderful weekend, your last one as a bachelorette.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna