April 8, 2023

Restocking The Pantry...

 

I've kept dried beans in the pantry for some time. I almost never used them because whenever I pulled them out, I realized I was supposed to soak them for 10-12 hours to get them ready to use. I'd often simply return them to the cupboard and grab something else.

I came across recipes to can beans, and it seemed both simple and useful, so on Thursday I decided to put up the bags of dried beans that were already on my shelf. The whole process was insanely simple, and once prepared, they have to go into a pressure canner because there's no acid in the recipe.

My first batch yielded sixteen pints of pinto beans. Simply measure 100 grams (roughly 1/2 cup) into clean jars; top with boiling water - leaving 1" headspace - wipe rims of jars with white vinegar; add lids and rings, and process in the canner for 75 minutes at 11 psifor our altitude (per pressure canner directions).

Not only does it make for recipe-ready beans, but per jar there cheaper than purchasing canned pinto beans in the store.

While the pinto beans were processing, I prepared jars of chicken tenders (cold packed with only enough spring water to make sure the chicken would be covered with liquid when they came out of the canner), and garbanzo beans (chick peas) that I'll use to make hummus whenever I fancy it. As you can see, I finished with four pints of canned chicken and eight pints of garbanzo beans. 

I'm planning to get to Sam's Club soon to purchase bulk mushrooms, pineapples, and 14 bean dried beans to make ready to eat canned soups. I'll add some of our canned tomatoes instead of water for those. I also have a batch of hickory syrup on my list before Handsome gets back home.

Yesterday, I ran a few errands, saw my hand physical therapist, and came back home. I'm in the process of setting up my next embroidery project. I'll share more on that on Monday. Handsome called me to let me know the cookies arrived safely in Florida. (He was eating one when he called me.) They were a big hit for everyone, and I'm glad they got there before the holiday had passed! I'll be with family on Sunday, so here's wishing you a wonderful Easter weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my, you were busy!
    I love the look of all those jars of canned food.
    Glad the cookies were a hit. :)
    Have a wonderful Easter.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your hubby received his cookies in time!! Have a joyous Easter - Resurrection Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have been very busy! I'm glad you're getting use out of your pressure cooker - I've still not mustered the courage to try one. Glad Handsome got his cookies and they didn't end up sitting in the post office over the long weekend. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely no grass under your tootsies!
    I hope the PT is helping your hand.
    We knew the cookies would be a huge hit and so glad they arrived quickly.
    Have a wonderful Easter.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry of createology: My your pantry must be very happy with such a variety of foods. Cookies for Easter…how could Handsome not be grateful for such a loving and thoughtful wife. Happy and Peaceful Easter Dear.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna