November 4, 2022

Sweets...

 

The weather was beautiful on Thursday. The sun was shining and the temps even got into the high 60s. I spent a little more time in the kitchen, making sweets for my sweetheart (and me, of course). One of the recipes I've made many times before (the maple nut fudge), and the other one was new to me (Graham Cracker Toffee Bars). 

The Graham Cracker Toffee Bars are also referred to as "Christmas Crack", but truthfully, I'm not fond of that name at all. So, I'll call them by the alternate name. If you'd like to try them yourself, HERE'S the recipe from Lauren at Tastes Better From Scratch blog. I enjoyed them, while Handsome prefers the fudge.

I grilled chicken for dinner with a side of tasty cheesy grits. These offerings were the perfect, small-bite desserts to finish our meal. 

THIS is the recipe I used from Katie at Heart's Content Farmhouse for the Maple Nut Fudge. Handsome isn't a fan of walnuts, so I used pecans instead. The last time I made this, I used hickory syrup and nuts. I'm happy with either ingredients.

If you try either of these recipes, I'd love to know what you think of them. Both are simple, easy, and quick treats to make, and they'd be great gifts when the holidays roll around, or something to take to a family meal. Anything in moderation, right?

9 comments:

  1. Oh Yum!
    They look delicious.
    Thanks for the links.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      They are! We decided to share with Andy and Shelly to keep us from eating every last morsel. lol I hope you try the recipes. They're both really easy and good!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. They look wonderful, but I will be ever so good and not succumb. It's enough for me to eat one of Resident Chef's chocolates every week or so (as the bathroom scales will attest!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      You're to be commended, my friend. I'm indulging in moderation. I don't want to backslide, but Handsome and I do have our sweet tooth(s) *teeth? lol Resident Chef is a chocolatier, too? Oh, my!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. Yes, he makes chocolates too - there's not much that man can't do in the kitchen (and he cuts my hair too...but not in the kitchen!).

      Delete
  3. What is hickory syrup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Hickory syrup can be made from the bark or the nuts/shells of the tree. I prefer the shells and nutmeats for ours. It differs from maple syrup in that it has a nuttier flavor as it's not made from the tree's sap. We no longer have maple syrup in our house. The hickory trees are on our property, and we love the taste of our homegrown hickory syrup.
      Thanks for the question.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Sherry of createology: Oh how I love Sweets! Both sound yummy. Thank you for linking the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      The maple nut fudge is made in a 8" square pan, and the graham cracker toffee is made in a 9" x 13" pan. Consider yourself warned. lol Enjoy, my dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna