November 21, 2022

Restful Weekend...


We kicked completely out of gear for the weekend, and I don't think anyone exemplifies it better than this silly Labrador. Carly has taken to sleeping on the sofa - on her back. Not very ladylike if you ask me, but she obviously wasn't asking. What a hoot this dog is. She makes us laugh every day! 


The most I exerted myself was to run out to the grocery store to get a few necessities, while a stewing chicken cooked in the pot. We got four birds from the same gal where we buy our farm-fresh eggs. (Just FYI - we paid $3.50 per bird - a steal if you ask me.)

When I got back home, I put away the things I bought. Then I washed my hands, strained the contents of the pot - reserving the broth - and cleaned all the meat off the bones. I returned everything to the pot, adding celery, onions, fresh carrots, some of the sweet corn I'd frozen in September, frozen peas, and some of the potatoes I canned. After it simmered for another couple hours, I added dumplings. The entire meal for two, with plenty of leftovers, cost us about $10. A frugal meal that I'm sure knocked out the last vestiges of my cold. (I really am feeling back to full health.)

Today, I'll be baking bread and catching up on a little laundry. All these changes in the weather have taken their toll on my hands, but I'm going to do my best to finish the knit baby kimono this week, too. Tag will take over tomorrow, so I'll just keep knitting while he visits with you. 

It's hard to believe it's already Thanksgiving week, isn't it? Gosh, it seems the older I get the faster the clock moves. Why is that? As long as time waits for no one, I'd better get busy. Breakfast and coffee, and then I'll be bustling around the kitchen. See you Wednesday!

NOTE: For some reason, Blogger isn't posting my replies to your comments. I promise I'm reading all of them and will respond as soon as they fix their issues. xoxo 

6 comments:

  1. The soup sounds and looks delicious. Carly certainly looks comfortable. Enjoy your day. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bonnie:
      The soup really hit the spot on a cold winter night! Carly is a bona fide hoot. (shaking my head)
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. $3.50 for a chicken - you definitely DID get a steal!!! And don't you wish we could sprawl out on the couch like Carly and not have any worries or things needing to get done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I know, right?! I can't help but smile at her poses. She really is totally uninhibited. sigh She's got the world by the butt, for sure!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Such a silly girl!
    Mmmm, that soup looks delicious!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      She sure is! lol Handsome asked for more of it for dinner Monday night! (I ate something else.) There's still enough left for lunch for two! Yum.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna