May 12, 2022

The Huntress...

For the past few years, Andy and Shelly have been trying to get rid of gophers in their yard. They said they're mainly concerned that one of our dogs will chase over onto the yard and catch a foot in one of the many holes. We actually know of a dog who lost a leg that way!

They've tried everything, to no avail. They were getting ready with their next course of action, when we told them that Claudette and Crystal are working on the problem. Every day now, after I feed the girls, Claudette strolls across the field between the farmhouse and Andy and Shelly's yard. She's on the prowl.


She checks all the holes, and then settles down to wait. I haven't seen her score yet, but I'm confident she'll accomplish her goal. I'm also confident she'll bring it back to our porch to brag. yippee

I wasn't in the studio yesterday at all. It was a gorgeous day, so after haircuts and grocery shopping, I spent more time outdoors. (That's how you got yet another cat story, you know. wink

Handsome and I are heading to an estate sale in the morning. We got a message from the friend (she and her husband actually bought our first farmhouse), and she runs family estate sales now. She has a piece of farm equipment that she thought we might like to have as a yard ornament. We're going to see it and decide.

Then, when we get home again, I will be making cookies! Heck. It's supposed to be 88º. Why wouldn't I light up a 375º oven? lol After that, I'll definitely get back to the studio. More on that tomorrow...

8 comments:

  1. Claudette is a good helper!
    Can't wait to see if/what you bought.
    I had the urge to make brownies yesterday, but it was just too hot to have the oven on.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I called my sister yesterday and said, "So, what did you do in the 88º heat?" She planted potatoes. I told her I lit up the oven to 375º and baked cookies. I could hear her shaking her head. lol Can you believe I even bought catnip for the kitties? I'm such a softy.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Anxious to see if you purchase a “lawn ornament”. When I lived in Virginia we had three Farmalls (in running condition). At Christmas we would line them up like a train, outline them with lights and outlined the wheels with racing lights so they appeared to be moving. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi:
      We were looking at an antique seed drill but decided to leave it behind. I did find some Longaberger baskets, a wrought iron bell to hang by the back door, and two great tubs for planting flowers or herbs. More photos after I've got them planted.
      Thanks for your note.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. sherry of createology. Oh I do believe Claudette will be helpful with the gopher issue. Our friends had a Golden Retriever who was excellent at getting the gophers…Whack a Mole! How fun to visit an estate sale. I made Oatmeal Cookies with Craisins and Butterscotch Chips…so YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry, dear-
      Your cookies sound delicious! Claudette is now on that part of the yard every afternoon. Boy, are those gophers in for a surprise. Whack a mole...lol
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. I am sure Claudette will get the job done. :)!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna