May 11, 2022

Our First Hummingbird In 2022...

Male Ruby Throated Hummingbird - Image Courtesy of Birds and Blooms Magazine

We spent most of the day outdoors on Tuesday. It's been a crazy spring, and yesterday was no exception. The blustery wind was replaced with a gentle breeze, so Handsome and I tackled outdoor tasks.

Handsome started on one of the downed trees that rests on the land we currently rent out to our neighbor. He farms it every year, and that tree needs to go before it's time for him to plow the land.

I wanted to put our outside furniture on the porch, but had to clean all of it first. Little kitty footprints, and more of Leo's winter pastime. Ugh. Glad it wasn't too bad, but now everything is disinfected, scrubbed, dry and on the porch. In fact, at bedtime, Claudette and Crystal were comfortably situated on the cushioned chairs for a sleepover.

When we took our afternoon break, we were surprised to hear a saw running. Handsome went outside to find Andy cutting those big willow branches off the main tree to make the rest of the task easier for us. Now all my husband has to do is cut up all the branches and we'll load them up for the burn pile behind Andy and Shelly's.

Speaking of which...our dear neighbor, Shelly is finally back home. She went to the hospital on March 3rd, and has been either in the hospital or the rehabilitation facility adjacent to the hospital since. She's made enough progress that she could now come home to continue her recuperation. We got to see her yesterday, and I almost wanted to jump into their vehicle when they pulled in to say "hi".

Needless to say, all that work and excitement wore us two seniors out. We ate dinner, took Tylenol and tucked in happy with our efforts.

If we hadn't been outside, we would have missed our first hummingbird visiting the feeders I put out three days ago. He'll spread the word, and soon we'll have a little flock visiting every day. Winter is finally, blissfully gone.

We'll take it a little easier today. We have haircuts and a little grocery shopping to do, and then we'll be back at the farmhouse for the rest of the day. I think I'll bake cookies when we get home and take a fair amount up the hill to celebrate Shelly's return. We think it's a quiet, appropriate way to welcome her back.



10 comments:

  1. Glad the weather is starting to improve for you. It’s so nice to enjoy the outdoors. Great news that your neighbor Shelly is home. I’m sure she’ll enjoy having home baked cookies! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie:
      Today was gorgeous. In the 70s and sunny. Loved it. Tomorrow is supposed to be 88ยบ! Kinda nuts.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. It was very hot yesterday, it got to 88 degrees!
    We have Hummies & Orioles.
    I put the Oriole feeder out, & not 20 minutes later, they were flocking on it!
    I could hear them chatter & sing, so pretty!
    Glad your neighbor friend is back home, cookies make everything better. :)
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      We're expecting that weather tomorrow. Wild, right? I bought oranges today, so the oriole feeder will go out in the morning - along with grape jelly. We're so glad she's home, too. We really love both of them.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Especially
    Especially since I can't bake myself until I get full use of my left arm back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly!
      No worries. I've got you covered. Cookies Thursday coming your way.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. I was so excited a few weeks ago when I saw my hummer was back. I think I have a few! They are very shy though. I'm glad your neighbor is back home after such a long bout with her illness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The second hummer showed up today. I love them all.
      We're so glad she's home, too. Thanks for your note.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Sherry of createology. So happy to see your first Hummingbird of the summer. We have them year round here. Chores done feels so good…except for the aches and pains. Prayers will continue for Shelly as she is now home and I believe her recuperating will be better with family no friends close by. Cookies are definitely welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Lucky you to have the hummers year round. That's awesome. We're both feeling much better today. Haircuts didn't hurt our attitudes either! Didn't get to cookies today, but will have them delivered by tomorrow afternoon. Hoping they help her get back on her feet sooner.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna