April 15, 2021

Kitty Update...

Brynwood Needleworks  - Two of the Little Girl Kittens
 
I kept this image just a bit smaller because the resolution was too blurry when I enlarged it. The back of the kennel that the mama and her kittens are bedded into is pretty dark toward the back, and I didn't want to bother them with a flash, and a grainier image is the result. Sorry.

I go into the barn at least twice a day to feed Mama (currently named "Groucho" because she has a moustache in the coloring of her fur); and her two offspring from last year (Crystal and ... Dang it, Shelly! I forgot his name again!...Crystal's brother with all-black fuzzy fur). I always check on the kittens, too, and they're starting to get active, now that their eyes are open.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Mama With Her Kittens
 
After I fed Mama and the youngsters their late day meals, I saw down in a chair across from the kennel, but far enough away so I didn't alarm Mama. When she was finished eating, she walked up to me, to let me pat her head, and then she strolled in to lie down with her babies to feed them.

Brynwood Needleworks - Mama's Sore Paw
 
Mama has a sore paw and a limp right now. I'm not sure how it happened. I don't know if she got into a scuffle with another cat (there are others that usually hang around at Shelly's, but they may come down the hill to our barn at night. Mama wouldn't want them anywhere near her kids.). Or perhaps she just pulled a muscle?
 
I know feral cats are tough, but I still worry about any animal that's hurt, and I've been taking care of these guys since mid-winter. I care about them. I tried to make a few contacts yesterday for a possibility of getting a vet to look at her, but I don't want her traumatized while she's nursing her kittens. I may look into a remedy that would salve her paw without harming her or her babies. Of course, any advice from cat owners would be welcomed.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Those Wee Faces!

I stayed and just watched the little family for a bit longer last night, and then finally said good night to all my charges before going inside. Perhaps she'll feel better throughout today. I'll keep track of her, and do whatever I can to help. 
 
Warm milk and fresh food are on their way in a little while. I'll keep taking her nourishment so she doesn't have to work overtime to be able to feed her babies. They all trust me now, and she appreciates every time I walk in to feed and pet them. We've come a long way together already.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

10 comments:

  1. Kittens are so cute! I hope she feels better to look after her kittens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine:
      She's doing a really great job of taking care of them. I'm doing my best to take care of and support her. Thanks for the note.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. You are so caring, I would probably do the same.
    They are all so cute.
    Hope Mama's paw gets better.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I'm one, huge soft touch. lol Hoping to get some help for her Friday. I'll know more then.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. You have such a kind heart. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelly! My memory is like a sieve these days. sigh I really like that name, too! I think I have a vet to see Mama. I'm calling Friday morning to see if I can get her looked at. I'll probably crate the kittens separately so she doesn't fret over them.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. So cute! Glad she is showing her appreciation for your dedication. Enjoy watching the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea:
      Aren't they, though? She trusts me enough to lie down with them while I'm there. I'm hoping we can get help for her soon.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna