April 29, 2021

I Remain Hopeful...

Brynwood Needleworks - Charlie Mackesy Art

Eleven years ago, I started my weblog as a simple daily diary. Imagine my surprise and joy when I realized that others actually wanted to read my musings. So, nervously, I proceeded to share my creative and sometimes personal life with you. Today will be a day when I write something more personal, as a way to chronicle another chapter in my life.

I've been dealing with a medical issue for the past nine months, with no current light at the end of the tunnel. I had a surgery that went sideways last July, then, a new doctor and two subsequent corrective surgeries. It's been frustrating, but I trust the doctor who's been trying to remedy my issues. I was supposed to see him for further tests a few weeks ago, but learned he'd had to undergo an emergency surgery and is now on medical leave until the end of May. I have another appointment, but not until the beginning of June, so I wait,  hopeful that we can find a solution.
 
Secondarily, I've had a knee that's given me grief since I was in my twenties. I had two surgeries within a few years of marrying Handsome, but now, decades later, the knee is acting up again. Prior to last July's surgery, I'd seen an orthopedist and gone through x-rays, only to learn that I have arthritis in the knee, and I was already bone-on-bone in the joint. That means I was even then, a candidate for a knee replacement. We opted for putting anything with my knee on hold in favor of my other issue, thinking that the other issue would be resolved with one successful surgery, I'd heal from that, and then we'd deal with my knee. sigh That didn't happen.
 
Now, a year later, I'm fairly crippled by this knee. I walk like the letter "S" with a limp, so I went back to the orthopedist yesterday, and discussed my entire current physical situation. After much talking, listening, thoughtfulness, and a few tears, we decided together (Handsome was there, too) that the non-knee issue takes precedence. We can manage my knee in the meantime.
 
I asked more questions, and being satisfied with the answers, I opted for a suggested cortisone injection. I've never been a fan of cortisone, but we agreed it would be a (possible) better option than prednisone. Another consideration is the fact that I'm also in barely-tolerable pain. The doctor was magical, and I actually didn't feel more than the freezing spray used prior to the injection.
 
I came home, Handsome set up an ice water pump (from his knee replacement a year ago), and I put my leg up for a while. It may take up to two weeks for this injection to work. I'll take it easy in the meantime, so I think I'll catch up on my needlework projects. That's my silver lining in this cloud.
 
I believe, deeply, in the power of prayer. If you do, too, I would appreciate being added to your prayer list. Thanks so much for reading to the end of this post. Please don't feel sorry for me. That isn't why I wrote this today. I promise to write something more fun tomorrow. I'll be okay. I'm sure of it. I just have to be prayerful and patient...and, I remain hopeful.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

38 comments:

  1. I can relate.
    I've also had some "bad surgery" that has left me with side effects from 10 years ago.
    I do hope your knee is better with the medication.
    It's awful having 1 problem, then another.
    But, enjoy your time relaxing & stitching.
    Prayers & ((((((HUGS))))))
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Then you can certainly relate. You're right. It really is awful, my friend. Thank you so much for leaving a note for me today. It warmed my heart. Prayers are greatly appreciated.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. You will get through this . Stay strong . sending prayers your way.
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Darlene:
      Thank you, dear. I know I will. I guess I was just feeling a bit beaten down. I'll cheer up. I like life better that way. Thanks so much for the prayers.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. My prayers will continue for you and your family. Your creativity and positive attitude will carry you through this. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bonnie:
      Thank you so much for the prayers. I know if I keep my hands busy, my attitude will improve. Ice helps, too. ;-)
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Sometimes hope is the best thing and that, along with the power of prayer and the love of your family, will carry you through this. Stay strong Donna - prayers heading your way. And big hugs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maggie:
      Thank you so much! I really don't know how I could cope without Handsome here. He finds ways to make me laugh every day. The dogs bring smiles, too. I'm going to keep counting my blessings, praying, and looking at the bright side. Prayers are deeply appreciated. I know they're heard.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. So very sorry that you are living so much less of a life than you deserve. You are always so positive in your posts, and I hope you keep that positivity. Take it easy and know that help is coming, just maybe not as quickly as you’d hoped. I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Andrea:
      It's been difficult, but I try to think about what I want to bring about. Health, positivity, and sharing joy with everyone. If I focus on those things, it minimizes the effects of the frustration right now. Thank you so much for your prayers. I know prayers are heard and answered.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. My thoughts and prayers are with you dear Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending prayers for you Donna. Prayers and stitching get us through so much. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wanda. I'm so grateful for your prayers, your upbeat message, and that you took the time to leave a note for me.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Marit.
      I'm grateful beyond words.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  9. I will be thinking of you in my prayers.
    Big hug. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Catherine.
      I'm so grateful for your prayers. Hugs back to you.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  10. More prayers coming from me! I hope you get some relief from the pain, and are able to solve the other problem soon. I'm sure I'll be looking at knee replacement surgery in the future, but I'm not quite there yet. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sunny!
      Thanks for your prayers. I'm a little sore from the cortisone, but ice and tylenol are helping my knee for now. It will be tolerable until I can schedule a surgery. I'll say prayers for your knees, too. Man, when the knees are out of whack, it messes up your whole foundation. gahhh! lol
      Big hugs back.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  11. Donna I believe as well in the power of prayer and I am adding you to my list immediately. Chronic pain is a tough "row to hoe" and my thoughts and prayers will be with you. Yes you will get better I am certain. Take care and know that the "Lord is Near." Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Debbie:
      It's so wonderful to read notes from all my friends who feel as I do about the power of prayer. Thank you for adding me to your prayer list. I know prayer and my faith will help heal me. I also know because of Him, I'm never alone. Thank you.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  12. Donna Dear you definitely have my Prayers and I shall lift Healing Energy for you as well. There is nothing more exhausting than pain...especially long term pain. I am thankful you have shared this with us. So many times life seems so perfect for others and we have no idea what they may be enduring. Blessings and your positive attitude will help you so much. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sherry:
      Thank you. I think I was motivated to share so that my blog friends would see that my wonderful life at the farmhouse still has ups and downs like everyone else. If anyone thinks someone is perfect, it's a total illusion. Perfection on that level doesn't exist, even in Blogland. I'm trying to keep my chin up. I know it will get better, and with prayers and good wishes from friends like you, I know better days are ahead. Thank you again, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  13. Donna, much love to you. Take good care of yourself, rest, relax, stitch. Thank you for your blog, it brings me much joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Diva:
      Thank you so much. Your message warms my heart, and lifts my spirits. I'm so grateful to you for taking the time to leave a message for me.
      God Bless.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  14. Donna, know that we’re thinking of you and praying for you, even when we don’t leave comments. You provide such delightful entertainment, and I wish you all the best, and I hope for a speedy solution to all the issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, dear one:
      Thank you for leaving a note to let me know you're praying for me. I try, always, to entertain, so knowing that you enjoy my posts is very heartwarming. Hoping this is resolved soon, too. It's exhausting being "off-kilter".
      Big, grateful hugs!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  15. Donna: My thought and prayers are with you. This too will pass and you will be well again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nancy:
      Thanks for lifting prayers and good thoughts for me. I have great faith that this will eventually be resolved. I'll try to be patient. Knowing I'm in the prayers of others helps immensely.
      Big Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  16. Praying for you dear Donna.............. Please pray for me too, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Catherine:
      I'll definitely pray for you, too. God will understand when I speak your name. He watches over us, and He listens. Thank you for your note, dear.
      Grateful hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  17. Sending heartfelt good wishes that the shot works (the one I got over a year ago is still working as long as I go easy on it). And prayers that your other medical problem can be cleared up ASAP with no more complications.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Carmen:
      The swelling in my knee is already lessened by the injection. My knee still hurts, but icing helps immensely. Your results offer hope for me, so thank you for sharing that. I'm looking forward to my June appointment with the other doctor, and I'm anxious to hear what he says for our next plan of treatment. I know we'll get to a solution, but he's been cautious to find the best option for me. I hope he'll be well enough to continue to be my doctor, too. I'd hate to have to look for someone new at this point.
      Thanks again for your note, dear.
      Big hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly. Prayers are deeply appreciated.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna