April 14, 2021

Here, Chick, Chick, Chick...

Brynwood Needleworks - Lisa B's Little Chick Vintage Pincushion
 
In previous visits to Lisa Bongean's studio, I'd noticed her vintage pincushion collection, and saw this sweet, little chick. I fell in love with it. The last time I was there for our Sit & Stitch group, we were all in her studio again to see some of her latest projects, and I mentioned it to her.
 
I said I'd love to try to recreate one like it for myself, so she said, "Take it with you. Just bring it back next time you're coming." Of course, I said I would. She handed me two other styles to play with, but I'll wait until I get to those to show them to you. (Don't worry. I've taken photos of them, so I'll be able to share the project even if I've already returned them to Lisa.)
 
Brynwood Needleworks - My Velvet Fabric Order Arrived

So, I realized the first thing I'd need to do is procure some vintage-looking silk velvet fabrics. I search the "interwebs", and located a perfect source.  Mary Jo Hiney dyes her own velvets (and more), so I had a grand time choosing colors for my first order from here. If you're interested to see her gorgeous offerings, just click HERE.

I've already taken my measurements, drawn a pattern, and planned my project. I have some other things on my schedule first, but this is definitely in the near-scheduled lineup, and I thought you'd like to see it.
 
 
Brynwood Needleworks - TP Wedding Dresses
 
Thanks to everyone who played along to guess which tp wedding dress I made. Quite a few of you got it right! The dress I did was....drum roll, please...third from the left (second from right)! 
 
Charlene Reeder 
 
was the first one to comment with the correct answer. I'm going to send a little something to everyone who left a comment, but I'll include an extra treat for Charlene. (Please email your address to me if I don't already have it.)
 
My pretty model was all of fifteen years old! Her young sister helped me by holding tp in place, and handing things to me when I asked. I know we were being timed, but I didn't realize that until one of the bridesmaids announced that we had 5 minutes left! I had a ball designing on the fly!

 
I got all my tax prep work completed and my paperwork will be mailing out in this morning's post. That's a nice load off my mind, so now I'm free to get back to playing and filling orders. If you're looking for me, just head up the farmhouse stairs to the second floor, and pick the door on the far left. See you later!

DonnaAcornSignature

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations to the winner.
    I had a look at the link and I love the fabric colours so beautiful! The pin cushion is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine:
      Thank you! I'm sure I'll be getting more velvets from her. I have ideas. lol
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Hi Donna,
    Looking at the Chick pincushion, it looked familiar. I have one also. Mine was created by Deborah Heartwell@ Heartwell designs. She creates beautiful animal and fruits and vegetable pincushions. Check her out. She also does commissions. Maybe a Corgi and Lab would be a great choice. She can do most anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat:
      I actually bought one of her chick emeries for myself when I saw how similar they are to the one I shared from Lisa. Deb's are a bit larger, but it's the same. I was impressed! Now, I really want to make my own (to see if I can). I saw her squirrels, too, and was so inspired! I agree. I believe she can do anything.
      Thanks for the recommendation, too. I'd love a little Lab. (I have lots of Corgi things.)
      Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. That little Chick is too cute, and those velvets are luscious!
    Congrats to Charlene!
    We had so much fun last year doing that game, people are so creative.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn:
      Thanks for playing along. I'm going to have more of these little games before the year is over. wink Making the gowns was fun, wasn't it?
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Donna, The little chick is so cute. I love the fabric colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy:
      Thanks! I appreciated your email today, too.
      Big Hugs!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I agree, Marit! I hope I'll be able to make one.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for the link to Mary Jo Hiney's website. While not jumping right in, I did sign up for her newsletter. I was so tempted by all she has to offer! Too much to do and not enough time to do it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carmen:
      You're so welcome. I understand completely. You and I are in the same boat. ;-)
      Big hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna