September 19, 2020

Stumpwork Masterclass Book and Telling The Bees...

Brynwood Needleworks - The Stumpwork Masterclass by Alison Cole
 
I've stayed in touch with my RSN tutor, Owen Davies through the pandemic, and had a chance to discuss furthering my stumpwork skills until I can take more classes from him. He suggested Alison Cole's The Stumpwork Masterclass book, so I immediately set about procuring a copy.

I waited weeks for it to arrive, but it's finally here, and I'm anxious to really dig into it. Alison begins her nearly 200 page masterclass exploring the history of stumpwork in Australia and the UK, and moves into historical techniques and materials. There are lots of photographs, and great stitch diagrams along with her instruction.

While I'm healing, I think this will be just the resource book to have handy. I may approach this book as a real class, and actually put into practice the lessons as she lays them out in the book. What better way to work on my skills, don't you think?
My Fall Pillow is now assembled and complete. It's sitting in our living room where it will be enjoyed until the snow falls. One can only hope that that is many (many!) weeks off. For now, the chill in the air, along with the leaves already turning color, signals that this summer is drawing to a close. 

I learned that the bees that we help nourish with hollyhocks, lavender, bee balm, and other flowers all summer will soon leave with their hives to live in Florida for the winter. They'll spend their winter pollinating the orange groves. Isn't that wonderful? 

I think they may already know, but I've been telling the bees, the great news as they buzz about in their attempts to wring every last bit of nectar from the blossoms in our garden. I don't want them to be surprised. I want them to know I'll look forward to their return, too. It seems we'll all be preparing for the season's change.

DonnaAcornSignature

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a fantastic book.
    I love Stumpwork. but need to try it.
    Our little Hummers are still here even though we've had some cold nights.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      This book furthers what I learned from my RSN tutor, and answered more than a few questions I'd come up with since the classes I took. I know it's going to come in handy.
      I only saw one of the hummers yesterday (9/25/20). It's getting cooler during the day, so I'll make a point of watching for them over the weekend. I won't take the feeders down until I'm sure they've moved south for the winter. I'll miss the little bugs. They brighten my day, and our gardens.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna