September 9, 2020

Back To The Farmer's Wife...

Brynwood Needleworks - Farmer's Wife Blocks Layout
 
It's been years since I started working on these blocks. I actually started them to teach as a class at Crazy Quilters in Venice, Florida. Can you believe that this fall will be four years since we purchased Hickory Hill Farm? Time flies!
 
Anyway, in keeping with my 2020 word "Complete", I decided that this should definitely be on my "To Do" list this year. I pulled out all my finished blocks, and rather than making it a queen size quilt (requiring more paper piecing), I'd go with what I have finished and add an interesting border to make it a generous lap size.
 
After lots of placing, taking a picture (did you know that's the best way to see if your layout works?), and moving blocks around, this is the layout I'll use. I moved things apart to simulate sashing, but decided I like them without. 
 
I'll sew them together like this, and then decide what I want to do for the borders. (I made stacks of each row to keep them in order, but can come back to this photograph to make sure I have them in the right place.)
 
I'm not sure I'll get too much done on this before Friday, so I'll do what I can and then it will have to wait until I can sit at my machine again after my surgery. Handsome and I have a few other tasks that need both our attention before then, too, so perhaps I'll be looking through my quilt books for inspiration for those borders. I may even decide to do applique' in the border. I'm open to all options at this point.

What do you think of the layout? Do you have any ideas for borders? I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm looking forward to finishing this one in September. It's good to have a goal, right?
 
DonnaAcornSignature

8 comments:

  1. It's beautiful, love the colors.
    I'm sure whatever you do, it will be awesome.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. I hope I live up to your kind words.
      I so appreciate seeing your messages. You're so sweet to let me know you're reading my posts.
      Big hugs,
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. That is gorgeous, Donna!!! I take a gazillion photos as I work on a quilt…layout, color placement, etc. Really is a huge help! Looking forward to seeing the finish of this one. You are in my thoughts. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacque!
      Taking pictures really does help, doesn't it? I see things in the photo that I can't see looking at it without that filter. I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished, too! I'm hoping I can get back to it next week. (Fingers crossed)
      Thanks for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Yep! Time to work on that one. :) I'd add sashing, as it looks too busy to me, but that's just me. I can talk. I haven't yet finished Stitches on the Oregon Trail, a quilt I had in progress when I left Oregon, 17 years ago! Interesting twist to that story...the creator lives here in Kansas! :) Enjoy your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheryl:
      I'm really thinking about the sashing. The original had at least four times the number of blocks in mine, without sashing. I'm really torn, partly because I almost always add sashing. I'll have to continue to mull that over for a while.

      I think that Oregon Trail quilt is calling to you, girlfriend! I'm going to watch for new progress pictures!

      Thanks for your note!
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Nice layout. Did you receive many friendship stars way back when from others who started on the QAL with you? Can you use any of them in your border? As cornerstones perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marrianne:
      I thought about those blocks as I wrote this. I still have them, and although they won't make an entire border, I would certainly incorporate them. I'll take them out and see how many there are, and how I can use them. Thanks for remembering!
      Big hugs, my dear.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna