April 28, 2018

Farmhouse Finds - Kitchen Table...

Hickory Hill Kitchen

If I do much more to our kitchen, it won't be necessary to install cabinets and other modern amenities. Darn that Facebook Marketplace! Handsome said I need to stay away from that portion of Facebook for the foreseeable future. giggle

When we were first married, my parents gifted Handsome and me with a beautiful, antique oak table that used to belong to my paternal grandfather. It's a table that I loved, as much that it came from a man I adored, as the fact that it was a fabulous old table that pulled out to twelve feet! We had leaves made for it that enabled us to pull it open to eight feet.

When we made plans to purchase the farm, I knew that someday I would gift it to another family member who would cherish it as I do. Someone who wouldn't abuse it (or even sell it). I decided to ask my youngest sister if she would want it when we finished our kitchen remodel, and she responded with an enthusiastic "yes!".

When we were unloading our belongings on moving day, my sister was here to help along with her son, and another nephew. They worked their proverbial "buns" off to help us. At one point, I went outside to see what would be coming into the house next, and saw her taking the table leaves to her car. I laughed and said (halfheartedly) "Hey, not yet!". Well, I let her take the table with her that day (a little ahead of our schedule), but that's how much she wanted it...and I couldn't have asked for a more grateful new owner for our heirloom.

Our Old Kitchen Table

I found this little used table, which served us well for this first year in our farmhouse, but it really didn't fit the style I had in mind. Enter, Facebook Marketplace...again.

Legs and Top Of New Kitchen Table

I found a thirty year old solid oak table. It's in great shape and is just the right size for our kitchen. It came with two leaves, should we ever want to make it larger for more "kitchen" guests.

Handsome and I drove around the lake (Winnebago) to Oshkosh, and we picked up the table yesterday. It began to rain as we headed home, so once back at the farm, we waited to unload it until the rain stopped. We had the table inside in time for dinner.

New Table Settled In The Kitchen
 
I love this table so much that I may rethink whether or not our remodel will include an island where the table sits. We may just have to keep this beautiful table right where it is. We're seriously happy with this find. Wouldn't you agree?
 
DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. What a find! That table is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is a lovely table. How very sweet and thoughtful of you to gift your sister the family table. Blessed Farmhouse Kitchen...<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say this table is friendlier, and simply charming! Looks like a keeper, and happy to be there in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna