March 29, 2018

Circles...

Stitching Pennies

This is my newest needlework project. It's called "Winter Penny Mat" from Primitive Gatherings. The colors coordinate with the colors in our living room rug, and is another project toward our color scheme for the farmhouse.
 
Primitive Gatherings "Winter Penny Mat" Project
 
This is the pattern image of the finished mat. It will be a generous 15" when completed. As you can see from my photographs, this piece requires stitching many wool penny combinations to create this beautiful mat.

Making Pennies

There are a variety of 1-1/2" circles of wool in shades and patterns of greys and tans. Each one is topped with a smaller circle in ivory wool. There are forty four sets of each combination for a total of eighty eight pennies that will need to be stitched down.

Ready To Stitch Pennies

These eighty eight circles cover the main hexagon, so once these are stitched down to the base fabric, the next step will be to work the outside circles around the edge. 

Relaxing Pennies

As I write this, I have already completed fifteen sets (30 of 88 circles), stitched in variations of the blanket stitch. I'll continue to joyfully "needle dance" in the coming days, peppered among my other projects and commitments. Don't worry. I'm having so much fun with this that it will go quickly.

In case you've missed my post about my Ninth Blog Anniversary Giveaway, click HERE to enter. You can enter daily, but you can only enter on that post for your entry to count. Then, after that, all you have to do to get back to that post to enter again, is click on this image (at the top of my sidebar).

Good Luck!

DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. This is going to be gorgeous.I love Penny mats I find it really relaxing to just sit and sew,and wool is lovely to stitch.The natural colours are really lovely.Cant wait to see it on the table.much 💕 to all.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your colors are dreamy and wool is so soft and rich looking. This is a Woolonderfuul project to be hand stitching. Needle Dancing...I like it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lot of fun for you, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful Penny mat. Love the colors that you are using. Always fun to work on something you enjoy doing. Have never tried to make one will have to put on my to do list. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing the completed Penny mat.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna