January 11, 2015

World Quilt Show - Best In Show Winner...

It was the first quilt that caught my eye. Should I then be surprised to find that Rosalynn McKowan's quilt was judged "Best In Show" for the World Quilt Show held in West Palm Beach last weekend?

Upon closer inspection, I completely understood the appeal - and the talented workmanship that went into the piece.
Over lunch, I visited with the creator herself. Rosalynn's sister made sure that everyone knew just who her sister was and what she had made. Rosalynn was sitting at our table of eight the whole time we ate and never said a word! She was actually quite humble about the whole thing.
She did tell us that her quilt took five years to create and it was completely hand quilted. Of course, every stitch of work was taken by her alone. I couldn't take my eyes off it!
Learning to make these flowers is on the very tip top of my "To Learn" list this year. They nearly left me breathless!

Rosalynn's 82" x 82" quilt can be found in the book, "Spoken Without A Word" by Elly Sienkiewicz. It's called "A Baltimore Reflection". She created a noteworthy and award-winning quilt, indeed.

I'll be sharing more quilt show quilts later in the week, but I wanted to share this one separately. If you want to see the whole list of winners from the show, you can click on this link
DonnaAcornSignature

6 comments:

  1. Amazing quilt. Easy to see why it won. Love every stitch and color, but those 3D flowers are amazing. thanks for sharing and inspiring.

    QuiltShopGal
    www.quiltshopgal.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no words to describe the thoughts as I look at this...can only imagine how much more at a loss I would be were I to see this in person. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my, such a beautiful work! Five years doesn't seem long enough for such a marvelous creation. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very beautiful and to think she spent five years hand stitching everything to create this stunning quilt. I do hope you share with us how you make these "frilly" flowers just as soon as you learn. They are gorgeous! Congratulations to Rosalynn. Truly Breathtaking Quilt...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna