January 21, 2015

I Love Teaching...

Let me start by saying, "Bad Blogger! Bad, bad blogger!"

I taught a class yesterday, and I don't have a single "action" photo of my students - or of their stellar, first-attempt creations. I was having so much fun with them that I simply forgot.

I'm teaching two complete sewing novices how to sew. Miss Ellie and Sophie were anxious to help. They were very gentle with my two ladies who had never sat at a machine before this class, and by the end of our first session, each had created their own finished pincushion. They were only here for an hour, so they really accomplished a lot in a short period of time.
I had a list of basic sewing supplies put together, so I had samples of everything to show them. I enjoyed watching them get more comfortable with the machines as they stitched their fabric samples.
 
I adjusted my class plan to accommodate their current skills, and by the end of the session, they filled two joined fabric squares with crushed walnut shells to create their own square pincushions. They even hand stitched the openings closed. 

You'll notice that I also have rice (which I scented with lavender essential oil) on the table. I gave them the choice of small, sample-size neck warmers/coolers or pincushions. I'll show them the neck warmers pattern next week.

Before they left, they told me about their Christmas gifts to other family members. They were already planning to make bean bag toss games as gifts! The boys are woodworkers who can make the "targets", and the girls (blossoming seamstresses) will make the beanbags, just like the ones they made last night!

So, back to being a "bad blogger". It never occurred to me to take a photo of this mother/daughter team and their finished projects until they were leaving down our driveway. You would have loved their beautiful beaming faces! It's a good thing I'll have another chance next week. They'll be making pillowcases! 
DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. Sharing your excellent knowledge and talents with others is very rewarding. Learning new skills is a lifetime journey and reward. Pincushions and Smiling Faces...Priceless! Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought was, why does Donna keep the Parmesan cheese in her sewing room. My second was, I need that funnel! Good for you. I know those women will learn fantastic, practical sewing skills they will have forever. Maybe I'm showing my age now, but I think it was a real loss that my kids did not have the home ec classes that I did. I learned so many life skills, including the best lasagna and how to make a french seam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful story.It sounds as if they had a lot of fun as well as learning lots of skills.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna