January 13, 2015

Peeking In...

I thought I'd continue to share more quilts from the World Quilt Show this week. There were so many that really spoke to me. Talented needle artists created the most stunning pieces, and I wish you could have seen every single one in person.
This quilt is called "Peeking In", by Anne-Marie Miro of New Smyrna Beach, Florida. It measures 59" x 39", and you won't believe all the "wonderful" packed into this small wall quilt! I see something more every time I look at it. It was machine quilted, machine appliqued', machine pieced and was her original design.
The creator described her quilt this way:
"Most pieces were raw-edge appliqued' and thread painted.
They were constructed separately and then used to form 
the seascape. The coral, clam and seahorse are hand-felted.
I had fun hunting for the perfect buttons to enhance the
coral along with the setacolor paints."
Look at this stunning coral with the sweet, little clown fish! You can also see some of those buttons she was talking about tucked into the bottom left corner of this photograph.
One of my favorite things was the sea turtle that inhabits the whole corner of the wallhanging. There are so many touches that enhance the quilt, and I don't think a single thing seems out of place.
  This little needle-felted seahorse is my favorite thing of all.
DonnaAcornSignature

8 comments:

  1. Oh my, this is breathtaking! I wonder how long it took to make. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that quilt must have been really something to see close up and in person. It is beautiful and every thing looks so life like. That must have taken years to do.

    I'd never even attempt to try something like that. My sewing skills are so minimal.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Truly a work of art! Exquisite details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I can only imagine the impact this has seeing it up close and personal. Amazing. Thank you for sharing numerous photos of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing this in person must have been eye-popping stunning. I cannot even imagine her talents to create this from her mind and hands. Beautiful and Breathtaking...
    I have been lucky enough to pet a Seahorse while on holiday long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the beauty and skill is breath taking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all the wonderful comments and posting my quilt on your blog. The quilt took nine months to make and I enjoyed every hour! It is a combination of all the wonderful classes I took over 4 years. After every class my husband would say, " I just know that someday you will create a masterpiece". Judges comments said I had too many "extras" on it, but if you ever scuba dive....there are a lot extras packed into a coral reef. It's my first piece of original quilt art that love and would not change a thing!
    Anne Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne Marie:
    I didn't have your email to contact you directly, so I'll post my reply to your comment here...

    I was absolutely smitten with your quilt. Judges aren't always right either. I've been scuba diving in Grand Cayman and I know what you mean about reefs...they teem with all those "extras" that your judge didn't seem to like. I'm with you. I wouldn't change a single thing!

    Thanks for stopping by to comment on my post. I hope to meet you in person some time - perhaps at the next World Quilt Show!

    Happy Quilting!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna