July 4, 2014

Looks Like We Made It...

l-r: Aunty Margaret, Aunt Annette, Uncle Dick, me (Handsome took the picture!)
We made it to Wisconsin in great time yesterday. After a few campground issues,
we drove to Fond du Lac for dinner with my aunts and uncle. Aunt Annette is my 
Uncle Johnny's wife. She decided a vacation to see her brother- and sister-in-law
following his passing would be good for everyone. I was so happy to see all of them,
and Aunty Margaret made a wonderful lasagna dinner for us. After dinner, we
hopped in the car and went to Lakeside Park to listen to music before the fireworks.
The Fond du Lac Symphonic Band performed in the same band stand I 
remember as a child. We moved to Fond du Lac in 1960, and except for a little 
refurbishing, it is exactly the same. Musicians have played there for many 
occasions over the years, but the ones I remember best were for patriotic events. 

What was different was that they never faced the lake before. Their backs were 
to that staircase you see in the photograph. Now they face the lake to perform.

As a result, many people could hear them, but few were able to actually see them
because of the trees. Nonetheless, the music was great and there was a nice-sized 
crowd in attendance to enjoy every note. A bonus was a breeze off the lake that
kept the mosquitoes in check, so we sat and listened without being bitten.
When I looked back at these pictures, I had to laugh because we have a gent 
smiling in the background of all of the pictures of our group. (He looks like 
he's photo bombing us in the first one I posted!) All the more fun, I think!
There was quite a crowd gathered around the band stand, but many more joined
us toward the end as the time for fireworks drew near. It was nice to see so many.
We stayed for the first song after intermission, but then decided we should go back
 to camp before the fireworks started. It was getting chilly for this Florida girl, too!
I took a picture of the sunset on Lake Winnebago as we drove past the iconic
lighthouse. Our first day back in Wisconsin, and it turned out to be just great.

  We're looking forward to seeing more family and friends in the coming days.
We're so glad to be back again.
DonnaAcornSignature

5 comments:

  1. So glad you arrived on time for the festivities,looks like it was a lovely evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great evening with family and music...nothing better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to see your travels have been pleasant and you are with family and friends! Lovely photos and you look so beautiful. Finally home for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Donna!! I am so glad you are having such a wonderful time back home!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see you made it safe and sound! I had to giggle at the guy who photo bombed you:) Twyla

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna