June 8, 2014

A Sew And Sew (More) Weekend...

One of the vendors at our 2014 DPQG quilt show was Grannie Suzannie
I purchased this pretty, little kit called "Magnolia Bud" and packed it for our
retreat. It was the last thing I worked on before we parted company yesterday to
travel back home. (That was after our Sunday Ice Cream Social with the gals!)
This is a paper pieced pattern and each block is comprised of four separate
bud elements. There are a total of four blocks like this one in the final quilt. 
It's a mini quilt, and will measure 17" x 17" after I assemble all the blocks, 
add the sashing and border. It will be such a pretty little quilt when it's done.
We all shopped at A Quilter's Stash in Sarasota, and three of us purchased this kit.
I was the first one to finish mine, and Joan B. said I inspired her to make hers up
before the end of Saturday, too. I know Number Three will be made up soon, too.
All the pieces were pre-cut and assembled around a central panel, so it went
together in almost no time at all. This is going to be a Christmas gift this year.
Here's a close-up of the central panel. It's so much fun, and although it's
 feminine, it's not too girly. A Quilter's Stash purchased all remaining stock
of these fabrics from the manufacturer, so if you want it, I don't think it
can be found anywhere but at this shop. ( I thought you'd want to know.)

Unfortunately, they don't have a website, but (HERE) is how you can
contact them if you want to find out about ordering your own quilt kit. 
My first finish of the weekend was this handbag. I made it with double
 layers of Soft & Stable and scrim, so this bag won't sag over time as
many of the quilted bags have a tendency to do - and it's still lightweight.
I chose three coordinated fabrics from the same line (shopping my stash)
and added a beautiful, ceramic button (also from my button collection).
The result is a high-quality, stylish handbag anyone would happily carry.
This bag is for sale and can be seen in my Etsy shop (here).

I'll complete the jean quilt after we return home this summer, and I'm 
happy to have a head start on my gift sewing this year. Golly, it'll be "that"
 time again before we know it! I'm making my list early for a change.

I had so much fun last weekend and feel I accomplished quite a bit.
It was wonderful to spend the weekend with 15 other beautiful, talented
quilters and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year. Thanks,
Arleen for all your hard work to put together our annual retreat. We all
had a grand time and appreciate your efforts to make it another success.
DonnaAcornSignature

2 comments:

  1. I'm getting ready to finish a couple needlepoint pieces into bags and would like to know more about Soft & Stable and scrim. would you, could you do a blog post about these. Thanks.
    I would also like to know if this bag was a pattern? yours or someone elses?? I would like to find a pattern that has a pocket front and back; lining with pockets and a box bottom (not sure thats's the proper term ...but a bottom that you sew the triange at the bottom corners. Can you tell I'm a stitcher..not a finisher? But I'm going to give finishing a try this summer. Thanks for the help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun time! Love that bag Deece. You are incredible with all the things you can create.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna