August 12, 2012

Hospice Quilts...

In our quilt guild, we make quilts to donate to various causes. Among them are Headstart quilts for school age children. They get to choose their favorite from the piles that we donate, sleep on them during rest period each day at school, and then keep them to take home at the end of the school year. The Headstart quilts measure 36" square, and because they're washed frequently, must be surface quilted no further than 4" apart.

We also make doll quilts which are donated to the Salvation Army for gift giving during the holidays. Those quilts measure about 24" square and can be any color or pattern of cotton fabric.

We also make Hospice quilts for nursing homes. At the last meeting, there was a call for quilts with a patriotic theme for the veterans in the nursing homes. These quilts have 6 1/2" squares, sewn together in a 6 x 6 block pattern. Each decorative block must alternate with a white (or ivory) block. That way they can be "autographed" by friends and family members of the recipient. Backings are all light colored in case the signatures overflow the front onto the back.

I'm going to make one of the patriotic quilts today to hand in at our August meeting next week. I'm going to alternate the "America" fabric and the navy stars fabric with the white so it's even a little more colorful. I'll take pictures and show you the finished quilt before the end of the week. For now, I'm off to wake up Prissy to get this quilt done!

Happy Quilting!

DonnaAcornSignature PS. This post marks post number 1191. Nine more posts to 1200! I think there might be a giveaway in the near future to celebrate!

7 comments:

  1. Very nice Donna ....as always, so thoughtful and caring of you. What a special gift for our vets. Denise (lifetime member ladies aux. post 5737 VFW )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna, You are a very caring person and the quilt will be so pretty if the samples in the picture are the colors you are using. I can't wait to see it. Hugs from Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely thing for you and your guild to do! I'm not surprised that you're participating however!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness woman. Do you ever stop coming up with projects to add to the list? I'm sure it's going to be a beautiful quilt and well received.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Donna this is why I truly adore you. All this generous giving for others to have something handmade and very special. This patriotic quilt is lovely. Blessings to you dear...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, If I had 1/16th of your energy and strength I would be one happy lady. I've been having to take two naps a day to keep going recently. Your Quilt is going to be just lovely, as you yourself are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna what a wonderful group...how I wish I had a group in my area...maybe I'll have to work with your group from across the state...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna