October 11, 2024

October Hollyhocks...

October Hollyhocks and Bumblebees

I took a walk outside after I got home from work yesterday. I needed some "nature" to decompress. I've noticed that one lone hollyhock plant has blossomed right next to the porch staircase, and it has about three flowers on it. It's so unexpected and pretty.

As I finished my walkabout and approached the porch to go back inside, I stopped to admire it and noticed it was inhabited. Two sweet bumble bees had climbed into the topmost flower and settled in for the night. I found myself wondering whether or not they're resting, or if they're preparing for the end of their lives.

I'm reminded that everything will soon be preparing for our Wisconsin winters and their long rests ahead. I need to be pulling weeds from my garden beds, and tidying up the kitchen garden to prepare those spaces, too. 

We'll be taking our porch furniture back to the barn and bringing the decorative plants indoors until spring. I reminisce about Octobers past, and how there were even surprise snowstorms not too long ago. I remember Halloweens as a kid, when we wore warm slacks (or even snowpants) under our costumes. I admit, I'm not ready for snow yet this year, but we'll prepare for the inevitable just the same.

We're so glad that Hurricane Milton downgraded as it made landfall last night. Our friends came through the storm with no water incursion, a few damaged roof tiles and downspouts, and electrical outages. In the main, they did really well, and for that we're very grateful.

Like the little bumble bees, it's time for all of us to rest easy now. Hugs to all our Florida friends. We're so glad you're safe.

6 comments:

  1. The Hollyhock is so pretty, maybe Tag sent it to you.
    I see a lot of farms out here are ready for winter, some still have corn to cut & process.
    I'm glad your friend had minimal damage.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      What a lovely thought, my friend. Our north field is still in standing corn, too. I expect some day soon it will be empty, and it's sure going to look different!
      Thanks. We're glad they're okay, too.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. "I stopped to admire it and noticed it was inhabited. Two sweet bumble bees..."

    😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry of createology: Your Hollyhocks are lovely and what a precious sight to notice the bees snuggled in. Thankfully My Little Family remained safe through Milton. I am so glad your Florida friends survived with minimal damages. Our world is out of control and I pray it can be healed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      It was such a surprise to see the flowers appear one day. The bumble bees were a bonus. I'm so glad your loved ones are safe. Thank you, dear. I could agree with you more.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna