September 20, 2024

Adding Padding...

I added padding to "flesh out" my birds yesterday. I selected the areas I want to stand out from my ground fabric to give dimension to each bird. 

The baby bird in the background doesn't have padding because I want it to stay behind the other two. I added blue felt to the adult bird so that when I begin embroidering those areas, that area is the color thread I'll be using. Plus, it adds a separate dimension for the head and wing.  I'll explain the bird in flight below.

First I sewed most of the felt fabric shape down to the ground fabric, but I left an opening for the stuffing. I pushed the stuffing into the shape using an orange stick (like those used as cuticle sticks for manicures. The ones I have are about six inches long and the perfect size for most applications.

Many who add dimension in this way to their needlework, use fiberfill, however I prefer organic wool (here), or organic cotton batt. I like the texture and natural fibers over synthetic.

Once the shape is padded to my liking, I sew the last part of the shape down and that element is ready to begin the embroidery.

I padded the main body of the bird in flight, but also the head, as this will help with the illusion that the bird is flying toward the onlooker. I also didn't fully pad the lower body so it will recede as I add the threads during embroidering.

Now that this step is completed, I'll be able to begin the actual stitching. I think I'll begin with the baby birds. This is going to be fun!

0 friends clicked here to leave a note for me:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna