June 9, 2021

I'm Getting There!...

Brynwood Needleworks - "Everlasting" My Way - Time For Borders

I got all my blocks assembled over the weekend! I still have the 3-1/4" borders to apply, and then decide how I want to embellish the light space around the outside.
 
Yesterday, while I was baking bread (yes. I baked bread in this heat in our un-air-conditioned farmhouse!), I was entertained by the birds coming in to the feeder just outside the window. Every time a red-winged blackbird came to the feeder, it announced its arrival. Like a bolt of lightning it ocurred to me...why not change the crow to a red-winged blackbird? I can add the colored shoulder stripes, and not have to figure out where to add another crow!

Another bonus would be that every bird shown on the quilt would be a bird that regularly eats at our kitchen feeders. So, what do you think? Add shoulder stripes?

I'm currently designing the needlework for the light border areas. I don't want to overdo it, but I do want it to be hand embroidered, as opposed to wool applique'. I'll get the borders sewn on and then the rest will happen while comfortably seated on the first floor (it's cooler than upstairs, and I'm just not ready for us to hook up the air conditioners yet. We do have ceiling fans in every room.).

We're meeting friends for breakfast this morning, and then I'm making a quick run to Menasha to Primitive Gatherings. I won a $20 gift certificate in their latest drawing!!! I may have to spend it as long as I'm already there. I also have that wrong Wool Box that I need to return. lol I'll start testing some embroidery layouts on the quilt after I get back home. It's going to be a great day.

DonnaAcornSignature

10 comments:

  1. It’s truly beautiful Donna,and yes I would definitely change the Crow and give it a little colour.Have a good day with friends .Dont spend too much at primitive gatherings lol.😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura:
      Done! Thanks for your input. Had waaay too much fun today.
      Big hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. A Red Wing would be cool.
    Have fun at Primitive Gatherings!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      The Red-Winged Blackbirds vote won. Done. I had a great time at the shop, and breakfast with friends was lovely.
      Hope you had a great day, too!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Oh, yes, add the shoulder stripes - that is a wonderful idea!! We have those bright, outspoken birds visit our feeders, too. They fuss at me when the feeders aren't filled to their liking. (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Thanks for the input. I added the colorful shoulder stripes today. Aren't they great birds? These guys are vocal!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. That crow’s just gotta go - based on your jingle - so what better way than to morf him into something else. The quilt is just stunning. It’s so fun to win something - so enjoy spending it! Can’t wait to see your haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlene:
      Agreed! He's now a red-winged blackbird. Hope you like him when you see him. Thanks for the compliment on the quilt. I'm loving it, too. (Yes. I did spend my gift certificate - and a little more! They know a soft touch when they see one.) lol
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. I'm in the camp of adding the stripes - especially if they come to your feeders regularly. Maybe, if you still want to have two crows, you could add them in the quilting design so they're there, but not overly obvious???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie:
      Stripes won. Hope you like the change when you see it. The crows only come to visit when I leave food scraps during the winter (and I don't do that often because I don't want the dogs finding them), so I'll leave them off this one. Primitive quilts feature crows all the time, so I'm sure I'll get another chance later. If they hung around here more, I'd find a way to sneak them in, though. wink Thanks again!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna