June 16, 2021

Kathy's Sheep Drum Pincushion...

Brynwood Needleworks - Kathy D's PG Sheep Drum Pincushion

Kathy D. did all the hard work to prepare for her YouTube debut on Lisa Bongean's (Stitch With Lisa Bongean) channel. Kathy worked all the parts and pieces so she could show the different stages to making the Sheep Drum Pincushion, which left all those parts unassembled by the end of her video with Lisa.

At our last Sit & Stitch, Kathy offered up her pieces, and I knew I had to have one. She had already completed the sewing and embroidery stitches on the main body, but it hadn't yet been attached to the top, stuffed, or had the bottom attached either.

In between a doctor's appointment, lab tests, grocery shopping, and cleaning house since the weekend, I managed to steal a little time to do the assembly of Kathy's lovely work. I hand stitched the top to the body section; stuffed it with sawdust (after I'd wrapped it in Press n Seal™ per her directions); and then attached the bottom section. It's all finished, unless I decide to do the Palestrina knot trim along the top join. Of course, the label I attach will give Kathy all the credit.

If you're interested in watching my girlfriend's tutorial video, HERE'S the link, and you can download the free pattern HERE. Be sure to click the "like" button for Kathy. We'd be ever so grateful!

DonnaAcornSignature

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Kathy does lovely needlework. I got the easy part. ;-)
      Have a great day!
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. How pretty! And the perfect touch with those pins to match. Out of curiosity - what's the reason for using Press and Seal? I understand that it might keep the 'innards' from escaping, but after time and use it would be full of holes and defeat that purpose. Is there another reason for it?? Forgive my ignorance!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie:
      Sorry, I didn't explain that very well. In the video, Kathy suggests wrapping the outside (flannel) to keep the sawdust from sticking to it while you're trying to stuff it. I just took the press n seal slightly to the inside, so I didn't make an awful mess removing it to put the bottom on to seal it up. The PnS doesn't stay with the drum. Instead, there is a woven fusible interfacing all around the inside to keep the sawdust in once it's stuffed. Hope that helps explain it. If you're still confused by my wordy reply, the video will explain it so much better.
      Thanks for asking!
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. ahhhh - thank you! I puzzled about that and now you've explained it I understand it and it's a great idea!

      Delete
  3. p.s. - thank you for yet another 'ear worm. Yesterday I had your headline in my head and now I'm muttering the words from a Dr. Seuss book called 'Hand Hand Fingers Thumb' that my boys both had to have read to them Every.Single.Night for probably two years. First one boy fell in love with it and just grew out of it in time for the other one to take over. Anyway....there's a line in the book that repeats "....one thumb, one thumb, drumming on a drum, dum diddy, dum diddy, dum, dum dum'. Of course we made the mistake of using actions to illustrate the drumming. And now, once again, more than you ever wanted or needed to know about the inner workings of my brain!...du diddy, dum diddy....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie:
      Turnabout's fair play. Touche'! Now I'm "dum diddy, dum diddy"-ing all around the studio. lol
      Thanks for the cute story and the giggle.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. This pincushion is very sweet. I will love to create this for a friend. Thank you very much for the links. This is what blogging and such a generous giving community is all about. Sweet Summer JOY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sherry:
      You know I couldn't be more pleased that you'd like to make one of your own for a friend. You're right, too. Our creative blogs are for bringing happiness and inspiration to others, thereby nourishing our own creative souls. So happy to have found you through our mutual interests. Have a wonderful day, dear friend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna