June 23, 2021

Contemplating Half Square Triangles...

Brynwood Needleworks - Here's What I'm Thinking
 
I'm probably overthinking these one inch half square triangles, but knowing I have to make about 240 of them has me weighing a few options. I'm thinking these are the colors I'm going to substitute for those called for in the pattern. 
 
One of the reasons is because I'm too cheap to purchase quarter yard cuts of each of the fabrics that were in the original line - if I can find them. The other reason is that you know I always like to personalize my work so it won't look exactly like all the other ones that were created from the same pattern.

Brynwood Needleworks - The Bigger Picture

If you look at the photo of the finished quilt, you can see that all the HSTs are bordering the larger center block, and again bordering the smaller blocks around the perimeter of the center. The only thing I have that includes all the fabrics in the line is the assortment of 2-1/2" little charms. No way they'd make up into the quantity I need. I have to decide whether or not I should bite the bullet and purchase yardage from the line, or change my game plan. I'm inclined to go with what I have.

With that in mind, I went into my fabric room and started "shopping" my own inventory. I pulled these fabrics. The top four fabrics on the stack (above) would be joined into the HSTs with the light fabric on the bottom of the pile. As you can see from the original pattern, each 1" block has one light half and one colored half. (Don't forget you can click on my post photos to enlarge them.) Mine would be half of that bottom fabric, with the other half being one of the other four. 

I think the effect is to end up with a more subtle, natural set of borders around the floral blocks. Can you imagine my vision? What do you think? Am I on the right track? I may choose one more fabric, as I need a total of ten strips of the darker fabrics to pair with ten strips of the solid, light fabric that's on the bottom. Maybe a brown, or even a gray? I'm actually getting excited about getting started on them. 

DonnaAcornSignature

10 comments:

  1. I think the fabrics you pulled will be so pretty.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dear Marilyn:
      I appreciate the validation. I'm looking forward to cutting and sewing next week!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. I like the personalization of fabrics. Perhaps a “repose gray” for the additional fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie:
      YES! A touch of Repose Gray could be just what I need for that fifth color. Thanks!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. I like the direction you're going - and I'm pretty much always of the mind that using stash is far better and if that leads to more personalization so much the better. (thinking of you today...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie:
      Thanks so much! Yes. I've decided to work from what I have. Thanks also for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. This is what creative people do and you are super good at making the right choices. Go with the stash. Prayers are with you as you prepare for surgery this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlene:
      I'm writing this right before I head to bed. Thursday's the big day. I'll be glad when it's over, and hopefully, with a successful outcome. Thanks for your prayers. They're very much appreciated.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Oh definitely use the fabrics you have selected from your personal inventory. The way you personalize your projects is always such a treat. Prayers for Healing Energy Dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sherry:
      You're always so sweet. Thanks. I'll be in the hospital for my day procedure Thursday, and hope to be home tomorrow evening. Your prayers are deeply appreciated.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna